Cable Card Reciever

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 10, 2005 2:51:17 AM

I currently have a Panasonic 42" HDTV, tivo, cheap home theater (only has
RCA video), and DVD/vcr as my main system. It is time for me to upgrade the
audio side. I am looking for a receiver that has takes a cable card. I pay
$10 extra a month for digital channels (Euro News, INTL History, etc) that I
can only get on my TV. The TIVO can not record. I want to buy a receiver
that will take my cable video input wit the cable card and export to all my
other devices. Is anything on the market or soon to come?

BTW, I have Cablevision and they tell me they have very few cable card
users. Any idea when TIVO will put out a HD version?

dennis

More about : cable card reciever

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:55:55 PM

I don't know of any receiver that takes a cablecard yet. Seems as though I
have read that Tivo is working on a cablecard DVR. We have Time-Warner in
Austin, Texas and used a cablecard for several months. Constant service
drop-outs and the lack of a program guide and the ability to record in HD
drove us to TW's Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR cable box. Two tuners to
record up to 20 hours of HD in pretty much original quality. Plus we have
the program guide and access to both free and pay video-on-demand, if we
want it. A little more money but far superior. Audio feeds out of the DVR
box via digital optical cable directly into my audio receiver for 5.1 audio.
I don't think we are going to get very good cablecard service from any cable
company until the cards become 2-way so the cable companies can sell PPV and
VOD over them.

mack
austin

"Dennis G. Rears" <drears@runningpagespam.org> wrote in message
> I currently have a Panasonic 42" HDTV, tivo, cheap home theater (only has
> RCA video), and DVD/vcr as my main system. It is time for me to upgrade
> the audio side. I am looking for a receiver that has takes a cable card.
> I pay $10 extra a month for digital channels (Euro News, INTL History,
> etc) that I can only get on my TV. The TIVO can not record. I want to
> buy a receiver that will take my cable video input wit the cable card and
> export to all my other devices. Is anything on the market or soon to
> come?
>
> BTW, I have Cablevision and they tell me they have very few cable card
> users. Any idea when TIVO will put out a HD version?
>
> dennis

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 4:46:36 AM

"Dennis G. Rears" <drears@runningpagespam.org> wrote in message
> I currently have a Panasonic 42" HDTV, tivo, cheap home theater (only has
> RCA video), and DVD/vcr as my main system. It is time for me to upgrade
> the audio side. I am looking for a receiver that has takes a cable card.

Can't recall seeing any.

> I pay $10 extra a month for digital channels (Euro News, INTL History,
> etc) that I can only get on my TV. The TIVO can not record. I want to
> buy a receiver that will take my cable video input wit the cable card and
> export to all my other devices. Is anything on the market or soon to
> come?
>
> BTW, I have Cablevision and they tell me they have very few cable card
> users.

So? They say that to discourage you from getting CabelCard as it prevents
you from using their two-way (i.e. PPV) services.

> Any idea when TIVO will put out a HD version?

They say never. I think they will focus on their guide data and operating
system and get that licensed to cable companies and PVR makers.
!