Intel Confirms “ScullTrail” Availability Later This Year

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/chipsets/display/20070919234702.html

“Maximum cooling performance at minimum noise levels and excellent reliability can be particularly important in the world of high-end workstations and special server applications. We’ve received lots of requests regarding Xeon compatibility and we’re pleased that we’re now able to provide Xeon mounting-kits as well as a Xeon-Edition of the NH-U12F and NH-U9F upon request. Finally, Xeon-based systems can benefit from the performance and quality of our coolers too,” said Roland Mossig, Noctua chief executive.

Nice idea but I'm not jazzed about FB-DIMMs.

IMO, a dual socket enthusaist platform does not use FB-DIMM's or ECC memory and does not require server grade processors. If I wanted that, I would just build a dual socket Opteron or dual socket Xeon workstation with parts that are available on the markets now. Why bother waiting for a new chipset and spending all that money on a mobo and FB-DIMMs only to get an increased front side bus.

The compelling thing about QuadFX and/or FASN8 is that it used non-ECC memory, used non-server processors, and showed great overclocking potential. What good does it do to have a liquid cooling solution for a Xeon if Intel is not going to open it up for overclocking? Liquid cooling for Xeon is as about as useful as a 10ft d!ck.

I'm not sure that Intel "gets it" when it comes to the concept of an "ultimate enthusaist platform". It's almost as if Intel is releasing a dual socket "enthusiast platform" just for the sake of releasing a dual socket enthusiast platform.

Given a choice between FASN8 and Skulltrail I'd still have to spend my money on FASN8 just becasue of using non-ECC memory or FB-DIMMs.

darkerx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
The demoed shulltrail rig had 2 penryns at 4ghz (=>OC by Intel)... I sure would be enthusiast enough to have this kind of stuff at home... :)

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

Actually, I would disagree with you on the overclocking potential. Since FX-74 is simply the highest bin of AMD's 90nm process, you can hardly squeeze any more clockspeed out of that. On the other hand, Quad FX at stock speed are already hot enough for aftermarket air coolers.

I'm not sure that Intel "gets it" when it comes to the concept of an "ultimate enthusaist platform". It's almost as if Intel is releasing a dual socket "enthusiast platform" just for the sake of releasing a dual socket enthusiast platform.
Actually, as opposed to AMD, Intel actually marketed this a little better. If this machine is for workstation, or heavy graphic rendering, this machine would actually make use of the components.

But still, I agree, no matter how "enthusiastic" you are, you won't need the power in Skulltrail. I believe Intel made this to counter AMD's 4x4, or should I say, FASN8 (sorry but I just hate that phrase)

I would choose 4x4 if Phenom 2.5Ghz are out. At the moment, the idea of 4x4 is pretty weak, as a single Q6700 can surpass dual FX-74 in most, if not all benchmarks.