gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
History:
I'd been using my first build for a year now without any problems, then suddenly about a week ago my MOBO's (ASUS P5B-E) built-in ethernet stopped transferring information. It responds to the connection to the hub, but shows two solid orange lights instead of the usual green (no problem according to hardware manager, but it won't connect to the internet).

Since I need my machine for work, I couldn't wait for ASUS tech support to get back to me and bought a generic ethernet card (Buffalo LCI5-TXI), your standard 10/100Base-T(X) PCI card. ASUS did finally get back to me and said that either clearing CMOS will solve the problem, or it's a faulty board, but since I already bought a new card which was working fine, I didn't want to bother messing with CMOS.

Now, one week later, the new card is acting up, although in a completely different way which is quite possibly totally unrelated to the original MB issue.

Actual problem:
For some reason whenever I'm downloading anything (including web pages simply for viewing), the system repeatedly hiccups. All programs, even the mouse cursor, stop for microseconds at short intervals until downloading is complete, after which there is no problem. It doesn't seem to be anything software related, as there is no CPU usage spike or anything like that (I have an E6300 and 2GB RAM, so certainly no lack of system resources).

I thought it might be a driver issue, and until then I had actually been using the drivers WinXP installed by default, so I actually installed the drivers that came with the card, but to no avail. Interestingly enough, the problem is much less acute when using Firefox than IE, but it happens all the same.

What might the cause be? If it's truly incompatible hardware, wouldn't the problem have shown itself from the very beginning, rather than working fine for a week then suddenly going haywire?

Thanks for any input, I'm totally stuck here...

gejiaxu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
First, I'd clear the CMOS, it takes 5 minutes. Second, did you disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS?

Yeah, cleared CMOS to no effect. I didn't touch any BIOS settings, the change occurred suddenly after start up one morning.