One monitor with (2) desktops... will it work??

woody240

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
So I was hooking up my new build to my old monitor. First time I have used the new style video cable. I tossed the old blue cord aside then got to wondering. Could I have the new machine plugged into the DVI connector on the monitor and the old machine plugged into the DB-15 and "toggle" between desktops. Sounds like I could burn something up here but if someone says it will work....

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Sorry but this was funny...

If your monitor supports a DVI (digital) connection AND a DB-15 (Analog) then you SHOULD be able to toggle them between each other through the input switch on the monitor. I have two computers attached to my Samsung 930B, one on DVI and the other on VGA and toggle between them when needed... no problems.

predaking

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
only issue is mouse/kb. you'll need 2 mice and two kbs for the other computer.

it maybe be worthwhile looking into a kvm device.

woody240

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007

Oh shat. I didn't think of that.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Viewsonic 2230wm here. Gaming Rig connected via DVI. All-Purpose rig connected via VGA. KVM (not using the "V") for keyboard and mouse. The only issue I have is when switching from the all-purpose rig to the gamer, the monitor switches automatically to digital. Switching back, I have to force the monitor to switch back to analog.

Wolf sends

techiegeek

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
there is also a switch that has been on the market for a few years that is specifically designed for this. check pricewatch.com