Core 2 Duo heatsink

xrey

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
Hey guys

I've recently bought an E6750, and i was wondering, is the thermal paste on the heatsink designed to spread when in contact with other parts, or does it need to be spread manually?

I know you guys will recommend a new cooler, especially if i'm overclocking, but i can't afford it right now and it'll have to come a later date! Thanks.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Just please make sure that the pins on the HSF go through your motherboard fully. It should lock down on your CPU so tightly that there is no movement when you try to jiggle it.

I'm not meaning any insult to your intelligence here. It's just that Intel used a questionable design for their HSF mounts - 99% of all the "My C2D Is Running Too Hot" posts are caused by people not securing the HSF properly. Sometimes it takes an unnerving amount of force to get the pins to "click" in place.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Please do the installation outside of the chassis to verify that you have correctly installed the heatsink. I have found the heavy dense foam that comes as a packing material is the best surface to support the board while clicking the pins through the board.

xrey

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
thanks for the reply guys. Dont worry my intelligence isn't high! Its my first build!

I'll fit it outside the case to make sure, and ill check for any wiggles. Ill put the board on the anti-static bag on top of some of that foam if i can find it. I just dont want to push it too hard as i dont want to break the mobo!

I'm going to see how hot it runs anyway, if i dont like the way it looks i'm going to buy some articlean and arctic silver. The paste got smudged slightly when i took it out of the box but that shouldn't make too much of a difference should it?