Sign in with
Your question

LCD Burn In

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2007 8:25:44 AM

Grrr
So ive had a few lcds in my time, not counting tv's...
1xAcer 15"
3xBenQ 17"
3x Samsung 19-20"
1x Acer 19"

2 BenQs died and were replaced under warranty
Now my 19" acer ws only 18months old is showing bad signs of burn-in :fou: 
Its something im really aware of and have always set screen savers to 3-5min max, so this just p!$$3$ me off.
Even better is no one, even the authorised repairer seem to know what burn in is, or if its covered.
Niice. Hi 5s for being at the top of your game in your job.
Fkn idiots.

Oh, and in the 12million pixels ive owned, only 2 have died :) 

More about : lcd burn

October 4, 2007 11:11:35 AM

I have the same problem, all you got to due to get rid of the temp burn-in is unplug you LCD for a week if its as bad as you say. I must unplug my Nec LCD weekly to get rid of the burn-in. They make them cheep now days.
October 4, 2007 11:42:54 AM

That's crazy, why use screensaver? Why not let it power off?

I never got what screensavers were for... except using the text one to leave people messages haha..
Related resources
October 4, 2007 11:51:15 AM

hehe, screensavers are a hold over from when the PC couldnt turn the monitor off via powersavings (talking late 80's-early90's).

burn in on an lcd.. hmm that is actually new to me, and I have been servicing monitors (including lcd's) for over 15 yrs. now, with the cheap ass lcd panels now, it is possible for some pixels to get sluggish, ie kinda stuck, and as mentioned earlier, disconnecting the power should fix it.
October 4, 2007 11:52:11 AM

I thought burnin only affected CRTs... (and plasma TVs to some extent)
October 4, 2007 12:02:08 PM

michiganteddybear said:
hehe, screensavers are a hold over from when the PC couldnt turn the monitor off via powersavings (talking late 80's-early90's).

burn in on an lcd.. hmm that is actually new to me, and I have been servicing monitors (including lcd's) for over 15 yrs. now, with the cheap ass lcd panels now, it is possible for some pixels to get sluggish, ie kinda stuck, and as mentioned earlier, disconnecting the power should fix it.

My burn-in only happens in the lower lefthand corner of my LCD, and only take one hour to do so. :pfff: 
October 4, 2007 12:24:01 PM

Are you sure it is burn in? I am under the idea that LCD's can't burn in.
October 4, 2007 12:41:17 PM

spaztic7 said:
Are you sure it is burn in? I am under the idea that LCD's can't burn in.

They can't burn-in, but sometimes the pixels get stuck but not burned in.
October 4, 2007 12:53:01 PM

This is new news to me, as well. I was under the impression that LCDs were immune to burn-in. That's always been one of their major strong-points for me. Hmmmm....
October 4, 2007 1:47:48 PM

Are you guys saying I need to use a screensaver, even if my monitors are LCD?
October 4, 2007 2:37:53 PM

No what they are saying is there is NO need for a screensaver. That you should just use the Power Saving Feature and shut the monitor OFF after 10-15mins of not using the computer. Easy on the monitor no need to worry...
October 4, 2007 3:08:18 PM

mrmez said:
Grrr
So ive had a few lcds in my time, not counting tv's...
1xAcer 15"
3xBenQ 17"
3x Samsung 19-20"
1x Acer 19"

2 BenQs died and were replaced under warranty
Now my 19" acer ws only 18months old is showing bad signs of burn-in :fou: 
Its something im really aware of and have always set screen savers to 3-5min max, so this just p!$$3$ me off.
Even better is no one, even the authorised repairer seem to know what burn in is, or if its covered.
Niice. Hi 5s for being at the top of your game in your job.
Fkn idiots.

Oh, and in the 12million pixels ive owned, only 2 have died :) 

Your LCD is not Burnt in or burning in, the actual term is for LCD's is called Persistence of Image. If a background, taskbar or whatever is on in the same position for a long time, the next time you turn your LCD on or change screens a ghost image may appear on your screen. This looks like burn in but its not.

If you where to invert the colors of your taskbar, or image background or leave your LCD off for more than 24hrs or so the pixels would reset back to original and the image will dissappear. So its not really permenant.

If you invert your background image it forces the pixels the other way and works to "negate" the image persistance.

Not all LCD's do this as bad as others. My Westy kinda of does this but not nearly as bad as my old Westy used to. Leaving it off for a good long period of time would fix it but it can be annoying.
October 4, 2007 3:39:05 PM

warezme, thanks for coming up with the technical term I couldn't when I was posting earlier. that happens when the eye's are barely open, and the brain is yet to start functioning.

but that is exactly what I was trying to get across. Not burn in, just the persistance problem.
October 4, 2007 3:58:23 PM

Ok... good, I was going to say, If they can burn in... we have all been lied to.

So.... just make sure you dont let you lcd monitor sit for to long of you will start ghosting. k...
October 5, 2007 4:08:25 AM

Thanks for the replys.
Yeah wasnt sure if 'burn-in' was the correct term... but it explains whats happening.

It happens mainly up the top, the bottom of the top section of the firefox browser, its like got white borders, when i click to desktop i can see white lines there grrr.
Happens after 2-3 minutes.

Doesnt happen on any other LCD i have so its either a sus panel or acer are $h!t.

Eithe way its pretty irritating.

Acer sucks teh bag.
October 5, 2007 4:48:07 AM

I was getting a little freaked out by the whole LCD burn in thing as I too was under the impression it was limited to CRT and plasma. Persistence of Image, interesting. I wonder if it is all Acer LCDs of your model, or whether you just got a defective unit, 2-3 minutes is way too short. Acer is out, better safe then sorry.
October 5, 2007 5:07:00 AM

I have left my screen on for hours. Damn power save did not happen....seems to do this now and then.....never did nothing...hell left CRT's on for 2-3 hours without burn in(or Persistence)......maybe i am just lucky?
October 5, 2007 6:32:11 AM

nukemaster said:
I have left my screen on for hours. Damn power save did not happen....seems to do this now and then.....never did nothing...hell left CRT's on for 2-3 hours without burn in(or Persistence)......maybe i am just lucky?
The "newer" :lol:  CRTs were less subject to burn in, and 2-3 hours wont burn in the old CRTs. I do remember the Eagle III days when the machine would get left on overnight too often etc. after a while they would burn in.
October 5, 2007 6:51:31 AM

Just out of curiosity can anyone tell me the brand and model #'s of the any LCDs you've had that appear "burned in"? Even better if you can me if it's a TN, MVA, or IPS Panel?

Also does anyone know how MVA or IPS works?

I've seen articles on TN aligning crystals in a twisted structure that channels light, but diffuses when voltage is applied. Which is why TN gets "stuck" pixels, where IPS and MVA can only have dead pixels. I've never seen anything explaining the technology behind MVA and IPS.

Also can you tell me if the "burn in" makes the screen brighter or darker?
October 5, 2007 7:12:20 AM

Burn in on lcd? I dunno man, maybe backlighting is uneven?
October 5, 2007 7:13:03 AM

Burn in on lcd? I dunno man, maybe backlighting is uneven?
October 5, 2007 7:44:33 AM

As i said, out of the dozen or so LCD panels this one (Acer AL1916W) is the only one. Ive had nothing less than stellar performance from Sansung.

Heres a pic...

A little hard to tell from camera phone, but u can clearly see a horizontal white bar up the top... which should NOT be there.
October 5, 2007 8:38:23 AM

Wow... I didn't think burn in was such a prevelent issue.

I currently have a-
-17" acer crt - 4.5 years old
-19" phillips crt - 6 years old
-15" compaq lcd
-20.1" viewsonic lcs

the 2 crts are on pretty much 16hrs a day, for the past 4/5 years, and the lcds have been going for 2 years, and have been powered on on average abt 22hours a day. maybe i'm just lucky, but i've never had burn in problems.

isn't it just plasmas that have this issue?

i was under the impression, lcds only suffered from the black/white/dead pixel ordeal, and from heat stress which distorst the image
October 5, 2007 8:52:38 AM

mrmez said:
As i said, out of the dozen or so LCD panels this one (Acer AL1916W) is the only one. Ive had nothing less than stellar performance from Sansung.

I'm pretty sure the AL1916 is a TN panel. The bright line would indicate the pixel is favoring the off or twisted state.
October 5, 2007 7:40:13 PM

Does that go away if you power down for 24 hours? or are you stuck with it?

I mean WOW....I have power down....but it sometimes does not go....so i am sure i have had Fire fox for hours(8+)
October 5, 2007 8:51:15 PM

systemlord said:
They can't burn-in, but sometimes the pixels get stuck but not burned in.

People need to learn how to read, LCD's can't burn-in the pixels get stuck where there was image persistence.
October 5, 2007 9:24:44 PM

we sell Acer lcd's here, and have many on display for weeks/months at a time with signal to them all day long. never seen a persistance problem on any of them.

question.. is the line (which I can see, just not much detail) exactly 1 pixel tall?? also, is it always in the same physical location on the screen? (does it appear if you move the firefox window to a different location). if its always in the exact same spot on the screen, I am gonna say the actual drivers in the panel are wimping out, or getting stuck. either way, its a panel failure.

remote possibility it is a failure in the logic board in the monitor (are you using DVI, or db15?) in DB15 mode, the logic board must make an analog-digital conversion prior to stuffing the video data into the onboard ram for the system. DVI bypasses this step. In any event, then controller inside the monitor (not the panel itself) may have a fault also, where its not properly clearing the temporary storage ram.
October 6, 2007 1:20:24 AM

FIX-

google JScreenFix, use their applet, and presto!

Just fixed my 28* new screen with a stuck pixel in the center. Rubbed, pressure, tapping, on/off, nothing worked.

It fixed it in 5 minutes for FREE!

Their pay version runs in the background, keeps them away and cures most of the persistence.

My Pioneer plasma tv has something called "orbiting pixel display" that prolly does the same type of thing.
October 6, 2007 2:52:50 AM

Can i just use my tv card with the coax unplugged instead :)  looks similar to JScreenFix....

I can see that working the pixles so hard they might snap back to action...thank god...no bad pixels....no burn no persistence....

Samsung 950B for me:)  ....yes i know there was a CRT 950B but its LCD :) 
October 6, 2007 5:32:01 AM

michiganteddybear said:
we sell Acer lcd's here, and have many on display for weeks/months at a time with signal to them all day long. never seen a persistance problem on any of them.

My Nec 1970GX 19" after the first year only had a burn-in like effect in the lower lefthand corner, but the rest of the screen is fine.
October 8, 2007 4:10:52 AM

good link. thanks
October 8, 2007 4:43:24 AM

warezme said:
Maybe we can put mis termed use of LCD "burn in" to rest. It is not burn in but Persistence of long duration fixed images. Its not permanent and can be fixed. Read this its a good explanation and how to avoid or fix: http://www.plasma-usa.com/screen%20burn/White_Paper_ons...
Thanks for the heads up.
!