kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
hey guys i wanna buy a case but ive been having trouple finding a nice case that would be perfect for my own watercooling setup..
anything with lots of room and (sorry to sound like a moron) a lot of features...preferably nice looking...and hopefully with quite a few 120mm fan places...im looking for the best cooling i can get and i would use the case i have but its a tuniq tower and it doesnt have much room because i have a HUGE mess of cables and i can barely fin anytjhoing in..ive tried organizing these cables but they have to go to certain places on this case to its impossible to a certain point

anyways..
any help is much appreciated..im planning on over clocking and im gonna have some very hot parts

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I took my P180 and converted it to the Swiftech Quiet Power WC system.

P180, add two black ice rads, one 5.25 bay resovior, one additional 120 antec tricool fan, swiftech quiet pump, some home depot tubing, one koolance gpu block, and one swifty apogee block for the e6750, and you are golden.

All inside the case, clean looking, all fans on low, fairly quiet, and cpu is at 34c at load on orthos, and my 8800 GTX stays below 53 c at load.

Would not stay below 80 c on high on the stock cooler.

pix if you need them.

mrmez

Splendid
P180/2 for the win.
Basically anything BIG.
U can put ur rad inside if u want (done that, worked well), better if its outside, tho this can be difficult to manage.
I use a P180, punched some holes in the back and put a 120mm rad outside. A 240 wouldnt fit GRRRR

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
wow you guys are helpful thanks a ton...i was looking at the tai chi...its 500 with WC :( id like to check into the 180 though...thanks again :)

PS...would it be recomended for a newbie to just buy a water cooling kit like something from asetek?

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
wow you guys are helpful thanks a ton...i was looking at the tai chi...its 500 with WC :( id like to check into the 180 though...thanks again :)

PS...would it be recomended for a newbie to just buy a water cooling kit like something from asetek?

mrmez

Splendid
Asetek is $h!t!
Seriously bro, water cooling is evpensive and difficult.
Ive spent ~$500usd and im still looking for more.
Do the smart thing, get a thremalright 120extreme and 2x scythe fans.
Those pre-built water systems are rubbish too

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
your suggest designing my own setup? i was considering it but i dont know quite enough yet...and yeah the kits are pricey....but mi looking at the antec 182 right now..it looks nice...i know it has holes for external watercoooling..would it be good for internal as well?

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
What he's saying is that watercooling has gotten a good name for itself because of high end, custom loops (very pricey), which perform very well. Off the shelf kits on the other hand, usually perform about as good or worse than the top air coolers, but the air coolers save you time, money, and room (in the case).

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
hmmm...well..i actually ordered a tuniq tower 120 cpu fan/HS and im waiting for it to arive...should work well with my tuniq tower case...and im looking to water cooling as a futire idea...its not something im ognna do that quickly...but i guess i will stick with air unless my temps get too high,

thanks guys

mrmez

Splendid
As i said, stay away from water unless ur going crazy with OCing.
Get:
-P180B. I love mine.
-Thermalright 120extreme/ultra with 2x scythe max rpm 120mm fan (may only need one as p180 has its own rear exhaust fan)
-Suitable fan conrtoller.
-Thermalright woteva VGA cooler with 92mm fan

Run ur HDDs in the bottom psu chamber so the top chamber intake fan isnt 'pre heated' by the hdds. May need some ducting from intake to cpu to give it cooling priotity.

Simple.

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
i was leaning towards the p182 just cause it looks cooler and when u say get the scythe fan u mean for case or for the cpu cooler? can u switch fans in a tuniq tower 120? (havent gotten it yet)
i dont think im gonna get a thermalright 120 because i already ordered tuniq tower 120 but it cant be much worse
and i guess il stay clear of WC unless it manditory

kcwa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
PS

you guys here at toms hardware are like the most helpful people ever...everytime i have a problem people are here to help

just impresses me

:)

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002

- Scythe fans are nice and quiet, and high quality.
- Yes, you can change the fan in the Tuniq.
- The Thermalright is a little better than the Tuniq, but the Tuniq isn't far behind, it's still an exceptional air cooler.

PS - For me, and I tink many of others around here, it's my hobby and my passion...I'm glad I could help.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
granite3 can u please post some pics of your pc set up with the 2 rads and everything i would really like to see how you did it. Thanks