Transfering Files to a new computer

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
The newer editions of Acronis True Image will allow an incremental movement of files and subdirectories. It is also an excellent method of imaging an entire drive for backup.

raptorxt

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
hook up the two computers via lan cables (cat 5, cat5e, cat6) and switch and transfer the files
extremely easy
multiple gbs may take a little time though

I got a $24 "USB transfer cable". It does the job OK. Or you could use an USB external hard drive, or DVD-RWs.

Haven't tried the network cable solution. I suspect it's faster than my ideas. Would it require installing some software?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm assuming that at least one of these is a desktop. Put the drive from the old computer in as a slave etc. and copy away. It is by far the easiest and fastest way to copy files.

Nice!

If the old computer goes to junk, you might as well just move the old disk over to the new PC and leave it there, no copying needed and the extra space won't hurt. Plus this way you don't have to worry about securely deleting what's on the old disk because you don't throw it away.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
If you connect 2 computers together via network cable, that'll prolly be the 'fastest'. I do it at work every day.. 6 times a day in fact as we're upgrading machines and we copy profiles and stuff that way.

Just set them both up with static IP addresses and copy the data that way. At 100Mbit you should be able to copy 10GB in less than 30 mins or so.