Grovlam

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all… ;-)

My search on the forum did not give me the answer to my question.

Is the P182 airflow in the lower chamber with three HDD mounted sufficient to keep all three HDD cool enough with only the middle 120mm fan?

I have two WD Raptor 74, one Maxtor 80.

It seams like there possibly could be installed a fourth 120mm fan in the lower chamber at the front behind the HDD tray. There is a small metal cage 160mm by 110mm, and it should be possible to squeeze another 120mm fan inside this small metal cage even if it was not intended to be used for this.

Hope you have some thoughts on these issues.

Thanks in advanced.

mrmez

Splendid
Cant use those in the P180's Noya
As i remember my p180 had 1x120mm fan in the lower chamber?
If thats right it will be enuf to cool 3HDDs, as they are 1st in the cooling flow, the psu is last.
Also the fans have 3 speed setting, so u can always crank it up a bit.

Grovlam

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Noya:
I have been looking into that and I doubt that it would be possible to fit three HDD with HDD cooler into the HDD tray which only has room for 4 HDD.

mrmez:
Yes you are right the 120mm sucks air away from the HDD tray and onto the PSU, and of cause I can just set it to Hi airflow.

I just wondered if anyone had any hands-on experience and if the HDD are actually kept cool enough.

I've got 3 hDDs in a P180, and with the fan set at low they are coolest I've ever had HDD's be, I would not be concerned. You've brought a good case for a reason, unless you are doing something out of the ordinary it'll fine.

Grovlam

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
13thmonkey:

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. I will save my money (and worries) and install my three HDD… ;-)

And yes I love the P182, and I have no plans other then install my new standard parts when I receive them. No OC is currently planed ….. :0)

Br,

/Morten

Grovlam

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Yes the review is great!!!

I have brought a Corsair HX620W PSU that I just fitted into the P182 yesterday. Still waiting for motherboard CPU etc. before the setup are complete.

I guess experimenting with the lower chamber fan setting, combined with the Corsair fan, my HDD will be cool enough.

Wow I just can’t wait to get the rest of the stuff and mount it on my new slick looking beast.

I did just unplug my lower case by accident for a few days, because my S12-600 is overkill for the system it doesn't spin very fast (normally this is a good thing), my HDD temps reached 51C, (2 in raid and a spare not doing much) the spare was 51C I can't check the others. I plugged the fan back in and in 5mins was back down to 39-40C where it normally sits.

So yes the PSU fan can be enough, but only if its working at a decent rate (unlike mine). Also you may be able to improve the flow by sealing things a little better so that air is forced from the front to the PSU and out of the PSU only, theer are some perforated panels behind the PSU that may allow air to bypass the PSU.