Overclocking with Speedstep

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Ok, my computer and speeds are listed in my sig. Here is my question, if I enable speedstep in an effort to try and conserve power, will it work. I know it is a toss up as to whether it will remain stable but because I am running as follows:

cpu 3.4
fsb 425
multi 8
vcore 1.42
mch +.2

When it speeds back up, will it stop at the 8 multiplier or will it go on up to nine and crash my system? Also, will speedstep change the voltage going to the northbridge?

Thanks.

It will depend on the load of the computer. Having the C1E/EIST active will most often result in a multiplier of 6x on your CPU, but when it reaches a certain load on the processor, it will speed up to full speed, whether that be the 8x you set, or 9x multiplier that the board set up if you didn't. So to answer your question plainly, it should only go back up to the 8x multiplier.

In general, whenever I overclock, I always use it to reduce heat, whenever possible. The only drawback is that you must make sure your voltages stay high enough to support your overclocked CPU while in the lower speed state.

As far as I know, the voltage to the northbridge does not change when using it, only the CPU voltage changes.