Sign in with
Your question

strange Pentium D 830 overheating issue

Last response: in CPUs
September 21, 2007 2:39:05 PM

A friend of mine owns a Penium D 830 and it idles at 64C idle(BIOS) at stock speed. It will crash after some time for no reason and Prime95 crashes the system in 2~5 minutes. He purchased a new HSF and now Prime95 kills the computer after 10~20 minutes. The voltage is normal and the case ventilation is fair, what could the problem be? I'm thinking it might be a power issue coming from a faulty mobo or psu.
September 21, 2007 3:12:52 PM

normal room temp. He has one exhaust fan at the back of the case and the psu fan along with vent holes in the side of the case. I know it's way too hot, but the question is why? :s
September 21, 2007 3:59:52 PM

Is the HSF seated properly? Are you using as5 or another thermal paste?
Related resources
September 21, 2007 4:14:07 PM

arctic silver and yes, the heatsink were always well seated according to him. The new cooler dropped his temperature by 3-4C but it's still getting way too hot, and crashing in Prime95
September 21, 2007 5:08:59 PM

try to take your heatsink fan out and reapply it. this can help. another thing that see if your fan is working at 100%. if this doesnt help to reduce your temps then maybe your heatsink fan is broken aur faulty. hope i helped.
September 21, 2007 5:34:53 PM

I think the problem could very well be that it's a Pentium D. If he can't cook on it then it isn't running quite warm enough.
September 21, 2007 5:41:58 PM

i have a pentium D 820 and my idle temps are 47 degrees and under load it is like 68 to 70 degrees. so according to this, the op's temps are really high.
September 21, 2007 6:29:44 PM

It's still a Pentium D. If it cannot melt Titanium then it isn't running hot enough.
September 21, 2007 6:39:26 PM

I thought Tungsten was the melting standard for the 90nm Pentium Ds.
September 21, 2007 8:20:53 PM

Oh, yeah, damn I was think the 9XX's. OOOOPPS. Anyway, what's 300 degrees amongst Pentium D's? We are splitting hairs here;)
September 21, 2007 8:21:47 PM

<sarcasm> Very useful guys, I appreciate it </sarcasm>
September 21, 2007 8:54:11 PM

See this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assemb...
Not-quite-fully installed heatsink/fans are almost always the culprit here, and it's very easy to not-quite-fully install the hsf with Intel's 4-pin system. The key is to install (or reinstall) the hsf with the MB out of the case, so you can support the MB while pushing in the pins.
September 21, 2007 9:06:17 PM

To see if he needs more airflow through the case, run with cover off, If no change, HS is NOT fully engaged. Very often, when you push 4th pin in, opposite comes loose. As suggested, you can see what you are doing with motherboard out of case.

Mike.
September 22, 2007 5:37:18 AM

Yeah,

<no sarcasm>
I would take the motherboard out of the case and check it out. He probably does NOT have it seated correctly. It also could be something else like either a bad motherboard, bad power.... etc. He could try changing the shutdown temp to something higher. It is possible that the motherboard is reporting incorrectly.

When you install the heatsink, if you touch it and it does not feel pretty warm when that thing is at 68c, either it isn't installed correctly or the motherboard is not reporting properly.
<no sarcasm>

September 24, 2007 1:33:04 PM

The heatsink IS seated properly, under load it gets hot. That also leads me to believe that the motherboard is reporting temperatures correctly.
September 24, 2007 2:06:24 PM

I would say there is a possibility of an incorrect or inproperly regulated voltage for the processor. An increase in voltage increases temperature, and temperature increases resistance, resistance increases temperature, so it a complete cycle until it reaches equilibrium. That's my guess. Try another motherboard if you can find one.
September 24, 2007 8:08:46 PM

Sounds about right. My gf has one of these pigs and when the cpu is at 100% you can heat up the house with it. She took it back right after she bought it and the guy said it is normal for this system to run this hot. This is back in the day when Pentium D was crap and AMD ruled.
I also tried a better heatsink but there was no change. This system is so crap that when you open up applications you can hear the fan speeding up !!!
September 24, 2007 8:19:29 PM

xXDracoXx said:
The heatsink IS seated properly, under load it gets hot. ....

A not-quite-properly seated HS can also get hot under load. The only way to verify if the hs is seated properly is to make sure that a) all four pushpin tops are turned completely in the direction opposite their arrows and b) look on the bottom of the mb to see that all four pins are all the way through their holes in the MB.

The symptoms you report are typical for a not-quite-fully installed hsf.
!