Internet quits working. Have to Restart to get it to work.

EnigmaVert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
This has been happening for like the past week. I'm online and everything is ok and my internet just stops working. I have internet explorer and firefox but I use firefox more then internet explorer by far. When I click on firefox it just goes to a blank page. no error. no "Internet connection problem" just blank. I can click all the links in the world and on the bottem it automatically says done. no loading. no nothing. I have to reboot just to get the internet to work. Does anyone have any fix or anything for this?

Since I'm sure you want the specs for better knowledge on to help...I got

Currently using wireless internet from a router. (Noone else has this problem in my house.)
Windows XP pro SP3
no alternative firewall or antivirus. Just windows firewall is on.

if you need anymore info please let me know.

EnigmaVert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
no it just does it when I'm on wireless.

weird part is. Like my limewire or utorrent doesn't stop downloading or uploading while my browsers are offline. It says i'm not connected. Weird...

pmofcan78

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I am having the exact same problem as well. I also have had it happening over the last couple weeks.
I am running Service Pack 3, and have all of the updates. In fact it started happening after i updated so I suspect it is related.
I also have 2 other friends that it is happening to as well.
I can be at my computer for 10 minutes and the internet will stop responding, sometimes it is 1 hour. On firefox i too get a blank page, on IE i get an actual connection error.
I have tried running the "netsh winsock reset" command in the "Run" program, but this does not work, I have also tried running the "ipconfig" command, and nothing.
I have also went into the device manager and deleted my lan drivers, then restarted and reinstalled the most current drivers without any luck.
Also wanted to say the my Utorrent will run as well just fine, but when i try to browse the internet i get nothing.
Would be interesting to install Google Chrome and see if it would run, will try and see, but i have my doubts.
Anyway hoping someone finds a fix to this soon, in the meantime ill keep trying!

pmofcan78

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
ok i found a fix, this worked for me hopefully it will for you:

This is due to Virus and Spywares.
Follow these steps to solve it:
1. First of all download the WinsockFix Utility from the following link:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

2. Run it and click fix.

3. restart the computer

4. go to Control Panel -> network connections -> right click the lan connection and click properties

5. In the general tab double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list.

6. re-enter the details as necessary.

I hope this will solve your problem.

pmofcan78

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
i had this same problem again, after 24 plus hours, unless im getting the same spyware or virus. I ran the winsockfix again and its working fine again, so im not sure if this really is the fix or if im just stuck in groundhog day and getting the same virus over and over?
Anyone that is having this same problem it would be nice to hear from you.

With Limewire and uTorrent in there, any virus, Trojan or Rootkit could be in control.

I could have been more helpful than simply slating the above two, even though they are responsible for a multitude of sins. Leave aside the third party software in case it didn't resolve all the Winsock problems.

Go Start>Run and type in cmd then hit Enter.

At the prompt, type the following, including the spaces. netsh winsock reset catalog then hit Enter.

Then, to revert to the original default settings by typing netsh int ip reset reset.log

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Check if your browser is working offline. If it is, then for some reason it goes offline (just your browser). Maybe a browser update will fix the problem or uninstall firefox then download the latest firefox. Update us.