Hardrive Swap cause problems?

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Would swapping IDE drives from an old system to a completely new system cause boot problems such as the bios failing to recognize either 1 of the drives? One drive on the previous system is a windows XP install the other is storage. I've swapped jumper configurations around and still no dice. The IDE port on the mobo seems to work because when I plug the DVD rom in it detects it fine. I've done some research and I've seen many claim expecting a hardrive swap to work on all new hardware is rediculous.

I can understand XP not booting but failure for bios to recognize either one of the drives doesn't make much sense to me.

My old PC was custom built amd athlon 2400+ and my new system is amd 64 x2 6000+, both mobos were gigabyte.

I'm tempted to go out and buy a new sata drive (since it wouldn't go to waste either way) and loading vista on it, then using an IDE-USB adapter to get the old data off my older drives, is this wise?

Mondoman

Splendid
You'll need to re-install Windows, because the install on your old hard drive is specific for the chipset/hardware on that MB, and so won't boot properly (or at all) on your new MB.

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, assuming you have set the BIOS options correctly, and the drive cable is properly installed (i.e. an 80-conductor cable, using the connectors on the ends, not the middle).