Sign in with
Your question

Raid causes Bluescreen of Death

Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2008 3:09:52 PM

Hi,
I've been using a RocketRaid 2320 with a RAID5 config for over half a year now. Everything has run perfect with no errors whatsoever, until six weeks ago.
My computer popped up a bluescreen, which do happen once in a while on all comps. But then the computer refused to boot, and gave me the bluescreen of death "Stop 0x50" error. It took me a couple of formats before I found out it was the RAID-controller.
Now, the strange bit is that when I made a JBOD-array - though, only with one drive - I got no errors or anything suspicious, also reading and writing data worked seamless. I tried it on all of the card's channels with the same result.

It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue here. But I haven't managed to fin anything matching this problem, neither by google nor forums in general.
The raid consists of five 500GB HDDs. I can boot the system fine with three of them connected, since the array can only work with one disc missing. So, when I plug in the fourth drive and the controller recognizes it, things start happening in the background as it should. I get a "Found new hardware: Generic Volume" in the background, but the bluescreen is back within three secs.

This has taken alot of my time recently and is starting tog et on my nerves. I'm pretty confident there's no data loss - but there's alot of important data on that array, which is one of the reasons I bought the controller in the first place, paradoxically.

I put a video on Youtube - altough crappy, it does the job.

Thanks!

More about : raid bluescreen death

a b G Storage
March 5, 2008 3:41:32 PM

Update the 2320's BIOS and be sure to load the latest drivers.

Make sure that is done first before doing anything else.
March 5, 2008 4:15:35 PM

My system is up-to-date with latest drivers and firmware. so that's not an issue.
The drivers were infact outdated when the system crashed, and I get the same error now as I get with the new drivers.
a b G Storage
March 5, 2008 11:04:02 PM

Check the windows system and error logs for more info on the error message. It will offer details about what occurred and give information that you can use to further research the issue.

Based on the Youtube video and of what I could read from the error message, the issues isn't with the 2320 or the hard drives, it's a windows error. After some google searches, I came across this link to the M$ support site, check it out.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=894278&sd=RMVP

Also, here are some general guidelines for troubleshooting STOP error messages:
Quote:
General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages

If you can’t find a specific reference to your problem, running through the following checklist stands a good chance of resolving the problem for you. This checklist is also usually the best approach to troubleshooting some specific Stop messages, such as 0x0A and 0x50.

1. Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.
2. If you’ve recently added new hardware, remove it and retest.
3. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the manufacturer.
4. Make sure device drivers and system BIOS are up-to-date.
5. However, if you’ve installed new drivers just before the problem appeared, try rolling them back to the older ones.
6. Open the box and make sure all hardware is correctly installed, well seated, and solidly connected.
7. Confirm that all of your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If some of it isn’t, then pay particular attention to the non-HCL hardware in your troubleshooting.
8. Check for viruses.
9. Investigate recently added software.
10. Examine (and try disabling) BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

NOTE: When a STOP message occurs, Windows can create a debug file for very detailed analysis. To do this, it needs a workspace equal to the amount of physical RAM you have installed. If you resize your Win XP pagefile minimum to less than the size of your physical RAM, you will get an advisory message that your system may not be able to create a debugging information file if a STOP error occurs. My advice is to go ahead with this change if you want, but simply remember the limitation so that you can change it back if you need to troubleshoot STOP messages. Some general troubleshooting principles are suggested in the Resource Kit for approaching STOP messages overall.
!