Dual E5 2687W Cooling Suggestions

mikebob

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hello Good People,

I'm a pc hardware newbie attempting my very first build (a workstation for myself). I've learned a good deal on my own but there are still a few gaps I'm having a hard time filling in.

Would anyone be able to recommend a cooling solution for a dual E5 2687w setup? Without going into too much detail I have been considering going with the Corsair Obsidian 800D for my case (to the best of my knowledge, this case should fit the Asus Z9PE-WS SSI EEB form factor board I intend to buy).

The Corsair H80 seems like a good option for solid cooling for someone like me that isn't in any position to be working on a custom liquid cooling solution. However, I'm wondering if I will be able to/need to get two of these things into that case?

Again, that's just my starting point from a complete newbie's POV so if anyone has a better suggestion I am absolutely all ears.

Thanks so much for having a look!

-Mike

ocean57

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Bump.

I'm in a similar situation: 2 x E5-2687W on an Intel Server board mounted in a Cooler Master Cosmos II case. Idle temperatures are in the 35-38 ºC range, and at load (Folding@Home on all 32 threads) temperatures shoot up out of control. If I don't stop stressing the CPUs it would easily hit 100 ºC. Currently there's a pair of Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo's in the case, but they don't seem to be working that well. I've tried different thermal pastes and different heatsink/fan orientations, but nothing seems to keep the CPUs at an acceptable temperature at full load. Any suggestions?

keewong

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Bump again.

I've just installed the dual xeon e5-2687w over the weekend, and have put it also into the cooler master cosmos ii. i've put 2 antec kuhler 920 liquid cooling solutions in there. i was unable to install the 2nd fan one of the radiators, as it gets in the way of the mother board asus z9pe-d8 ws.

using the power supply calculators out there, it seems for the system I put together with 5 harddrives, nvidia quadro 6000, nvidia tesla 2075, 64 gb ram, it was calculating upwards of 1100W recommendation.. so i went with the cooler master silent 1500W PS. havent really stress tested the video cards yet, but currently only drawing 800W on load.

I just wanted to give some background here, but I was looking up good temperatures for the dual xeon cpu configuration.. using real temp to measure the temperatures im currently idling around 40-50 C.
When I run prime95 stress test on it, the temperatures get to around 60-70 C.

Does this sound ok? or could be better?