Sign in with
Your question

modular power supplies?

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2007 1:46:16 AM

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a efficient modular power supply brand? Or if modular is the way to go or not? I know on my pc now I jsut have wires that are just totally crazy running everywhere in the case...I'm wanting to eliminate or at least manage the problem. I'm hoping by going modular I can just plug in what I need and leave the rest out.....any suggestions?
Thanks
Matthew

More about : modular power supplies

September 22, 2007 2:00:55 AM

right on man thanks for the tips. I'm thinking on this machine regardless of the route...I'm goign to try to shorten a lot of cables as needed and really work on routing and tucking etc....When you take off cable lengths or add lengths to cables as needed, is there anything I should do to make sure I don't mess up the wires? I have soldered other types of wires before but not from PSUs for computers...I'm a bit sketchy of doing so because of the investment.
Thanks again
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 2:52:31 AM

You know, there are more important criteria for a PSU than how neat the cables are. Corsair 620HX is my favorite modular PSU for example, but there are non-modular PSUs that are better, e.g. PC P&C Silencer 750W or Enermax Galaxy. It depends on your system and your budget. Give us more details.. Also, some cases help with cable management, so think of that too.
Related resources
September 22, 2007 4:19:30 AM

FSP Group makes a quality PSU and some of their models have modular design,
Zippy is another Tier1 PSU manufacturer that you should consider.
I don't use a modular PSU, i just tuck all the unused cables behind the motherboard tray.

Folding@Home
September 22, 2007 3:59:00 PM

IMy budget is 1200-1500. Looking to invest 200 or less in the PSU. The case I'm looking at is the thermal take armor jr or the thermal take bach. Right now I'm planning on a evga 680i sli MB with 2 lower end 8500 sli cards which I can upgrade later. Also cpu intel 6750 duo core
Thanks again guys.
Matthew
September 22, 2007 4:58:52 PM

i put my 2 cents on the Corsair 620HX.

You can throw anything at it. (not literally)
September 22, 2007 5:29:13 PM

I put my 4 cents (HA!) on the Silverstone Decathlon 650...They have a 750 and 850 watt version as well...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

It's also comes with a 8 pin PCI-E connector...which the corsair HX series doesn't. If you want a 8 pin PCI-E cable for the Corsair HX though you can call corsair for one..Although you have to pay shipping for the cable...The 650 version of the Decathlon is a Tier 1 power supply...While it's bigger brother 750 and 850 version is Tier 2...The corsair HX series is also Tier 2.
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 5:50:21 PM

Matthew, do yourself a favor and don't get two low end cards in SLI. Get a single 8800 GTS 320, you'll be much happier. The 8500 cards are good for playing HD video and Office applications, but not for games, and SLI won't help as much as you'd expect.

The Decathlon or the 620HX are both excellent and plenty for your system.
September 22, 2007 6:16:39 PM

i was originally going to go with a p35 board...but I was under the new impression now (based on my other forum on the other threads) that sli was better for gaming? I'm trying to adhere to atight budget. IMO the 2 lower end sli cards would beat the heck out of what I currently have now.

Kam what is the 8 pin pci E connector for?

Thanks again guys
September 22, 2007 6:38:22 PM

man I should of read the thread more carefully then skimming through...

In all cases...2 cards are not better then one. Just because you have two 8600 GTS doesn't mean it can outdo a 8800 GTS. SLI is meant for high resolution gaming. If you are not gaming at 1900 or 2560 resolution then SLI is a flat out waste of money. Two lower tiered cards can not outperform the next card up the price chain...it's a simple fact. With resolutions above 1900 it takes a large toll on the graphics card..That is where SLI comes in handle where it can share the load between both cards...This is why when you see sli rigs playing in lower resolutions their is literally no performance improvement over having just a single card of the same mark....

If you plan to get a nice 24" monitor or a 30"..you might want to consider SLI...if not it isn't worth it. Even so...one high end card can handle 1900 resolution fine..But you would see a pretty big improvement adding another of the same card in that resolution...But it all depends if you want to dish out that much money for it....not worth it...Especially when you can just get a really nice lcd monitor that has 1:1 pixel mapping..This way you can play in lower resolutions without image scaling...There are many choices of working around the high resolution factor..

But overall..SLI is almost always...NEVER worth it..
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 8:13:43 PM

Kamrooz said:
man I should of read the thread more carefully then skimming through...

In all cases...2 cards are not better then one. Just because you have two 8600 GTS doesn't mean it can outdo a 8800 GTS. SLI is meant for high resolution gaming. If you are not gaming at 1900 or 2560 resolution then SLI is a flat out waste of money. Two lower tiered cards can not outperform the next card up the price chain...it's a simple fact. With resolutions above 1900 it takes a large toll on the graphics card..That is where SLI comes in handle where it can share the load between both cards...This is why when you see sli rigs playing in lower resolutions their is literally no performance improvement over having just a single card of the same mark....

If you plan to get a nice 24" monitor or a 30"..you might want to consider SLI...if not it isn't worth it. Even so...one high end card can handle 1900 resolution fine..But you would see a pretty big improvement adding another of the same card in that resolution...But it all depends if you want to dish out that much money for it....not worth it...Especially when you can just get a really nice lcd monitor that has 1:1 pixel mapping..This way you can play in lower resolutions without image scaling...There are many choices of working around the high resolution factor..

But overall..SLI is almost always...NEVER worth it..

No SLI @ 1280x1024

With SLI @ 1280x1024

Just proving that most if not all that is said about SLI is bollox!
September 22, 2007 8:48:40 PM

all?..now that would be bollox. Depends on the game. Fortunately Fear scales well with SLI...some games do and some don't. But it's obviously a clear fact that putting together two 8600 GTS to a 8800 GTS is a stupid and flat out retarded move. A higher card up the chain will outperform it. The only time SLI should ever be considered is when you have tons of money to blow and have a huge monitor playing in 1900 to 2560 resolutions...It has always been and always will be the scenario..That grabbing two lower classed gfx cards sli'ed won't outperform their bigger brothers.....So it turns out to be...only sli if you have no budget....or have had the price of the samel card drop within low levels to grab another...
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 9:04:02 PM

Kamrooz said:
all?..now that would be bollox. Depends on the game. Fortunately Fear scales well with SLI...some games do and some don't. But it's obviously a clear fact that putting together two 8600 GTS to a 8800 GTS is a stupid and flat out retarded move. A higher card up the chain will outperform it. The only time SLI should ever be considered is when you have tons of money to blow and have a huge monitor playing in 1900 to 2560 resolutions...It has always been and always will be the scenario..That grabbing two lower classed gfx cards sli'ed won't outperform their bigger brothers.....So it turns out to be...only sli if you have no budget....or have had the price of the samel card drop within low levels to grab another...

But two 8600's were never meant to be compared to one 8800, that is where the cobblers surrounding Sli starts, when someone starts saying that two cards of one type won't out perform a single card of another type. Two lower class cards were never meant to outperform the higher class cards so it's not surprising that they don't, but the crap about needing a huge monitor playing in 1900 to 2560 resolutions is just that, CRAP, as I don't have a huge monitor and I don't play at resolutions above 1280x1024 and yet I still get a performance increase in all but a few games out of the two hundred or so that I've tried.
September 22, 2007 9:08:55 PM

aevm said:
Matthew, do yourself a favor and don't get two low end cards in SLI. Get a single 8800 GTS 320, you'll be much happier. The 8500 cards are good for playing HD video and Office applications, but not for games, and SLI won't help as much as you'd expect.

The Decathlon or the 620HX are both excellent and plenty for your system.
aevm, you keep forgetting about the Silencer® 610 EPS12V Power Supply. Still just $119.99, no modular cables and a single 49 amp rail.

mtstans, you should give that PSU a hard look, for the money it can't be beat, at least easily. Don't go cutting the wires that is insane, just tuck them out of the way the best you can. You should also read Power Supply Myths Exposed!. Certainly not everyone agrees with me but IMO that info is spot on.

I agree with aevm about the VGA, buy a 8800gtx with as much RAM as you can afford and a P35. the P35 works real well and was made to upgrade to the Penryns down the road.

Don't beat me mousemonkey. ;) 
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 9:17:35 PM

Zorg you are spot on mate, a higher class card is always the best option and a single 8800 should be better than a pair of 8500's or else there is something seriously wrong!
September 22, 2007 10:26:34 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Zorg you are spot on mate, a higher class card is always the best option and a single 8800 should be better than a pair of 8500's or else there is something seriously wrong!

Agreed. After your earlier post I thought you were going to [:zorg:2]
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 10:33:16 PM

Zorg said:
Agreed. After your earlier post I thought you were going to [:zorg:2]

Me!, Flame!, never :ange:  , I do get get narked about the misconceptions that are spread about as far as Sli is concerned though, something you didn't do I hasten to add. :) 
September 22, 2007 10:40:23 PM

I'm just kidding. :lol: 
September 22, 2007 10:58:07 PM

It doesn't only have to do with just the 8500's..SLI should only be used if you have the money have had your current cards pricing drop considerably..Try to compare two higher end segments then..two 8800 GTS 320 mb cards to a 640 mb..Will you have higher performance?..There is the possibility since they are so closely related..Does it justify the fact you just spent 570 dollars on two cards when you could of nabbed a 8800 GTX instead?....no it isn't justified...

I'll admit that SLI has come a long way from its early stages...But considering the costs of SLI it is not a real solution in anyones eyes...It is a extreme luxury that only really sees benefit by couple two high-end cards to stand out above the rest...When you think about lower priced solutions..You may as well step up the price chain...cause the performance per dollar isn't worth it...
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2007 11:28:07 PM

It should never be about comparing two different cards, only about comparing the same card i.e one 8800 320mb compared to two 8800 320's or one 8800 640 compared to two 8800 640's. As for it being justified, that's a matter of personal opinion as there are a great many things that may not seem justifiable to some but considered quite justifiable to others. And as my two 7900GT's give me a better gaming experience than a single one did I will not be dissuaded by any argument that you could put forth.
September 22, 2007 11:59:42 PM

hehe right on guys. Didn't know this was going to turn into a big thread. Thanks for all the tips. Considering all that has been said. I have decided on a 8600 320 MB card. That is probably the best choice in my budget. I'm going to stick the the evga board with the sli and I'll buy another card as needed down the road. My winner so far on the PSU is still the Corsair 600 watt unit. I can order it for 100 bones as it's on sale. So I think that will do me right for sarters.
Thanks again
Matthew
a b ) Power supply
September 23, 2007 8:14:15 AM

I hope you mean an 8800GTS 320MB, and if so good choice! [:mousemonkey], my friend has one and it's a great card. The Corsair HX620 is also a very good choice IMHO, I have two of them and have not had a single problem, and it should be able to handle a pair of 8800 320's quite easily, should you wish to go Sli at some point in the future.
September 23, 2007 9:01:40 AM

Enermax makes a very high quality modular power supply. It has Cool Guard and Power Guard, Power Guard protects your computer from damaging spikes coming from you AC outlets. Cool Guard keeps all your case fans running for up to two minutes after you turn it off, depending on the temp inside your case. Thers no setting it up either, it just works. Got mine for $219.99 at NewEgg.

Infiniti 650W PSU http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=74

Infiniti 720W PSU http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=73
September 23, 2007 1:54:42 PM

actually ya the 8800 sorry...still learning all the new models. haven't built my own rig in 5 years. I typed that before bed last night and didn't want to copy and paste from my cheat sheet. Probably wisest choice. The machine I'm on now is an AMD 64 fx 3400 and I have an nvidia Geforce 6200. So this should really be a good step up. The thing I'm most excited about is the prices now on storage. Ya ram goes down every year as it gets better. But the thing that seems to be the best bang for the buck is the hard drives. It seems like I'm going to be able to double my storage capacity on this machine at less than the price that I paid for my last ones.
September 23, 2007 2:29:26 PM

Now I see what you are saying on the sli cards. Looking at the charts on THG here, the 8800 GTS seems to get the best bang for the buck in that price range. The only thing really beating it are the step up in models of 8800s. And the thing that sometimes beat it or right on par with it was the 7950 gx2 (which is a built in double gpu card right?) Well I looked at the price of that thing and it's just way over priced compared to the 8800 GTS for performance. So I just wanted to say...now i get it!
September 24, 2007 12:01:58 AM

The 8800GTS 320MB is probibly the best price/performance graphics card ever to be released to date!
September 24, 2007 12:30:37 AM

ya I spent about 3 hours on research today after the guys here talked about it and looked at the THG charts on the cards. Defintly seems the best hands down period.
!