PC Upgrading Best Practices

vaughntx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
I've just ordered a new CPU and SATA drive. I'd like to know the easiest way to do the component swap. Least amount of transfering data, installing progs.

I currently have 2 ide drives (yes yes, I know, old). The CPU is the same socket, so that part is easy and I know I will have to reinstall XP.

How do I (can I?) back up my set up stuff so I won't have to deal with setting my internet, etc up again.

I can leave the old drives in their bays and still connected as I have an open bay and a available mobo connector for the new drive.

I assume, I'd swap the cpu, install the new drive and set the old master to slave.

Anything else I might need to do? I'm shooting for least amount of software installation/changes.

cpu- amd 64 3200 -> amd 62 x2 4200

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If you use a Ghosting software you will simply be able to boot to an exact copy of your old drive. Norton makes an excellent program called simply "Ghost". I use it, so if you need any help, please post again. There are probably a number of other programs out there to do the same thing, but I trust big name brands with my data. Swapping out the CPU should be no problem. If you've never swapped a CPU read an article about it so that you apply the right amount thermal material, cooler mounting, etc. Also, ensure your motherboard has a bois recent enough to support the new CPU. You should be good to go after that. The ghosting takes a few hours, so be prepared to have some downtime, and disconnect all network connections and non-essential peripherals while it's copying.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Acronis True Image does a really good job of cloning drives. You'd want to close the drive with the OS/programs to the SATA. No need to install Windows.

vaughntx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Any issues regarding going from a single core to a dual core cpu as it pertains to XP recognizing the 2nd core?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Shouldn't have any issues

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
dont pay for cloning software though. go to your drive mfg site and look for software. WD and seagate both have good software for cloning. All you need is for the DESTINATION drive to be made by them.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Regardless of what software you use, be sure to take out the old drive prior to booting the new one. If you going to use the old drive for back up, install it after the first boot, copy the data to the new drive, and format the old one

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I suggest low-level formatting to have the freshest start with your old drive. Boot and Nuke is a good one. Also HDD makers have their own available from their websites.