Another DX10 PERFORMANCE GAMING REVIEW

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=461&type=expert&pid=14

Gaming in Windows Vista has definitely been a struggle since the operating systems release in January. We even ran an early Vista gaming benchmark article (though all DX9 titles) that contained more frustration than anything else and followed it up with detailed driver improvement guarantees from both AMD and NVIDIA. Both companies promised improvement in their performance and compatibility and they have slowly but surely gotten DX9 performance about on par with Windows XP.

Our DX10 titles show a slightly difference scenario though, one that hasn't been in the public eye long enough to get the full attention of both parties. In our single GPU testing, the NVIDIA 8800 GTX was by far the best performer in the DX10 titles that are currently available. The GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB card, closer to the actual price competitor to AMD's HD 2900 XT card, was also a strong performer and out matched the AMD card in just about all of our tests.

The AMD HD 2900 XT had some difficult times as a single card; it came in last in our 3-way comparison in all of our tests with the exception of Call of Juarez where it had a slight lead over the 8800 GTS 640MB. In our initial review of AMD Radeon HD 2900 XT back in May I concluded that the card was mediocre for current DX9 titles but that "real test on these cards will come later this summer and into the fall as the first Direct X 10 titles are finally released." Well that time is now, and AMD let us down again. This could be an issue with the hardware design or clock speeds but it also is definitely an issue with driver development.

G

$500-$600 for a damn vid card it better be highly rated. :)

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I don't game with SLI, but I liked the article. I'm glad to see both companies pushing along with better performance, that means the drivers are better for SLI and non-SLI users. Too bad vista slows it down some anyways, oh well.

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Kinda disappointing that the 2900xt was behind the gts. Especially since tom's ranks it ahead of the gts. Seems like ati hasn't worked on their dx10 drivers at all.

4745454b

Titan
What Nvidia fanboy wrote this???

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=461&type=expert&pid=9

the results look pretty similar to our 1600x1200 tests -- the 8800 GTX has a distinct lead and the AMD HD 2900 XT card is able to just edge by the 8800 GTS 640MB card.

Look at the graph. For the "distinct lead", the GTX has a max frame rate of 2FPS more then the 2900XT, while the average is 2.1FPS. For the "just edge by", the 2900XT has a max frame rate of 6FPS over the 8800GTS, while the average is 1.6FPS. To me, the XT beat the GTS by at least as much as the GTX beat it. I don't care what you call the lead, I just don't understand why its different.

There are also several times where the XT drops to 5FPS. Was any testing done to see why? When I have time after work, I'll check to see if it happens at regular intervals.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Don't worry - that's still an excellent card for the money.