DQ6 Memory Issue

FloridaDude

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hi all,

Curious problem here.

I've been using 2GB of Corsair XMS2-8500 in my DQ6, and it has been working perfectly.

I added another 2GB of the same memory, and I get all sorts of memory problems, BSOD, etc. I ran memtest both with and without the new sticks, and it ran perfectly with the old set, but gave all sorts of errors with the new sticks.

I'd like to find out if the new sticks are just bad, or if there is a BIOS configuration/setting issue. I tried bumping up the voltage, but there is no clear way in the DQ6 to do it (maybe I missed it).

Can anyone give me a clear troubleshooting sequence?

Thanks
FloridaDude

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the machine runs OK with just the old RAM but not with the new and Memtest is showing errors with the new, then it's a safe bet the new RAM is bad.

elvi5

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
The DQ6 is a joke. I have 4x1GB worth of memory & its only stable using 2GB. Gigabyte really need to take a look at this mess. Please contact them, I did but unfortunately they are useless. But the more complaints they get, they may eventually fix it.

FloridaDude

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Hi Guys,

As an update. I swapped out the new sticks with the old, and the system ran fine. MEMTEST showed no errors.

So I put the sticks back in, and manually set the memory settings to 5-5-5-15 (specs on the memory), and upped the memory voltage by 0.2. I left MEMTEST to run, and no errors.

I'd still be interested in hearing from other folks who had a similar problem, and how they fixed it.

Best,
FLDude

nasgod

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I also have a strange problem with the DQ6 my ram now runs at 1166Mhz with timing 5-5-5-11
there for i use multiplier of X9 Mhz 350 and FSB:DRAM 3.30 thats 3:5

When i change the FSB:DRAM to anything else lower or higher value even if my Mhz are then 1000
I will get errors with memtest. So i have to set it to 3.30 anything else is bad.

Someone else have this problem ???

http://users.telenet.be/nasgod/settings.jpg

Lamb_Chop

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
I am having similar issues, reducing memory frequency stabilised my system, from 1066 to 800

I made such a fuss we currently exchange about 3 phone calls a day with Gigabyte:) call them!

Try running them @ 800Mhz instead of 1066, but keep the overvoltage and timing sets.