WinXP PC Slowly Going Slower

Hello,

Thank you in advance for reading. I have HP desktop (AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with fan, 2 GB RAM, EVGA graphics card with fan, plenty of free HDD space) running WinXP (with all of the updates through today). I run a combination of Ad-Aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Norton 360 for protection. The cpu is overclocked. I have run the utilities from Norton 360 and iolo System Mechanic--defragging, deleting internet much, registry cleaning, etc. I have examined to the best of my ability all of the services and programs that load at startup and removed anything that seemed unfamiliar or suspicious.

However, my PC still boots up VERY slowly (more than 5 minutes) and opening programs also load VERY slowly. Going from screen to screen in various software is anywhere from okay to slightly slower than it used to be but the Start menu often freezes while I'm moving the cursor or after clicking a selection. I have gone to dslreports.com and run the speed test and my internet connection speeds are okay, though sometimes a page or more will load very slowly.

This slowing down has occured over perhaps the last 6 months. There is no evidence of malware, trojans, viruses or hardware failure.

Doing a reinstall is so complex because some software may never work again (OLD but used often), restoring program data will take forever, etc. etc., and because it's an OEM copy of WinXP, I can't do any of the tricks some you do with a CD-ROM copy of Windows.

PLEASE HELP me make my PC run the way it used to!

BTW: Everything was working smoothly and quickly for quite awhile before I noticed things slowing down.
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp slowly slower
  1. Other than having more AV scanners than you need, it sounds like you've done a good job at trying to clean things up.

I would suggest uninstalling all of your AV software, and installing Avira or Avast and Malwarebytes.

You could use ccleaner to try and tidy up some clutter. It's also got a very good registry cleaner. I'm not sure what you used before, but this is a very good cleaner.

Another option would be to use the restore points to roll back before it started to slow down.
  2. Thank you. Ad-Aware is the ONLY program used to scan for viruses. Restore points only go back 3 months, not far enough.
  3. Norton 360 and ad-aware both run in the background.
  4. Thank you. Yes, I know. Norton 360 provides my firewall and anti-phishing protection, I have turned off the anti-virus feature. And they have both been on my PC and running fine for over a year.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP