Sign in with
Your question

Proposed Build for Uni PC - Need some opinions

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2007 11:35:58 PM

Hey guys,

I've finally got myself together and am nearly ready to order, as i need to build this in time for the start of my course. This computer is going to be used for a big of gaming perhaps, but mainly for 3d animation, rendering, and video editing work. I just need some opinions on whether anything can be changed, added, or taken away etc.. to give a more rounded build, and if everything fits and will lead to a balanced system hopefully.

Don't worry about there not being a case, also, whether running the operating system i've put down will be alrite, as i'm not that fussed about running vista yet.

Liteon LH-20A1H-487C 20xDVD1RW/DL
Arctic Power 600W PSU - With PCI-E, SATA, 20+4, ATX12V, 8pin +12V Connectors
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe SKT 775 dual-core Core2Duo Conroe ready Crossfire 8channel audio ATX
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC with LIFETIME WARRANTY
EVGA 8800GTS SuperClocked 320MB DDR3 DVI PCI-E Graphics Card
Seagate ST3320620AS 320GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Extra Value 19" TFT Monitor Widescreen 1440x900 500:1 8ms Black VGA 3 Years Warranty
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair))
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2B x32bit OEM 1PK CD

Thanks for your time

Chris

September 17, 2007 11:56:41 PM

hey looks like a good build, I just don't know about motherboard, PSU, and Monitor. I would get a p35 motheboard since you aren't doing sli. If you like Asus get the P5K. For power, go with the Corsair 470W if you aren't going to do something like a GTX in the future. If you are going to upgrade the CPU, get a 520 or 620W Corsair.

Like I said, I don't really know that monitor brand. good luck with your build though! I sent you a pm. If you have any questions let me know, I'm always glad to help :) 
September 17, 2007 11:57:24 PM

I am not big into 3d Animation and Video Editing, but you might want to look into more memory. Its kinda tricky IMO. You can get 2GB if that doesnt work get 2GB more but then you are outta slots. OR You could start with 4GB(2x2GB) but that might be overkill.

How much stuff do you plan on keeping on your computer. I do know video data can file up a hard drive fast. You might want to get a bigger one with prices as cheap as they are now.
September 18, 2007 12:25:26 AM

From what i have read all of us will be running Vista before too long,the latest software and games is being written optimized for Vista.
I run XP Pro SP/2 and it rocks but i feel a change is coming so i too will be upgrading.
I'm not familiar with Arctic Power's reputation but PLEASE do your homework before buying a PSU as they have a bad rap of taking other hardware with them when they fail.
Enermax, Zippy, PC Power & Cooling and FSP Group are just a few quality PSU manufacturers you can choose from.
I don't see a need for a O'clocked 8800, EVGA's GPU runs faster than advertised already and will run any program you throw at it.
A lot of us are holding our breath for the "Phenom" to be released, even though I'm not crazy about changing my Socket AM2 motherboard for a AM2+ version, i really can't blame you for using Intel.
I love ASUS motherboards but the Gigbayte GA-965P-DS3 is a better choice.
The RAM should work great with those tight timings.
do it like you wanna.

!