Final Build...Need some advice please!!

Defient

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Hello everyone,
I have been doing some final decisions on my build, and I plan to start ordering some stuff pretty soon.
Here is what I'm looking at as of right now. I'm looking at around $1650. May try and do a little cost reduction. I'll be ordering some from TigerDirect and the rest will be at my local CompUSA. So onto my big question. Ive been reading a whole lot lately about different motherboards. Ive decided that I would like to go with a DDR3 setup for future upgrades. I do not plan to SLI. I'm looking for something with some nice overclocking and perfomance. Ive looked at the Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6, as well as the MSI platinum. Do you guys have an reccommendations, advice, or comments :), on my potential build? If so please let me know! Or if there is anything I'm missing. Thanks for your time!

Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX (wishing compusa would have them for 79.99 again)
Motherboard: (???????)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q6600
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2048MB PC6400 800Mhz (any opinions on patriot or OCZ?)
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB 7200RPM
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX
Power Supply: OCZ 700watt (pretty cheap for 109)
Sony DRU170C 18x DVD+/-RW
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 LED

I have the following that I will transfer once it is complete
Creative Xfi Xtreme Gamer FPS
Logitech G5
Bose 3.1
Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

I listed these because I'm not sure if the things I've chosen would have any conflict with what I already have.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Ive decided that I would like to go with a DDR3 setup for future upgrades.

Yet you have a DDR2 only mainboard picked?
In any case DDR3 is a waste of money at the moment and will be for a while yet stick with DDR2

Other than that you have solid selections... my only quam would be you are potentially bottlenecking the 8800gtx with the 22" screen. however, it will be good for future as you wont have to run it on as high a native res when dare i say the 8800gtx is knocked down a notch by the next GPU and new games.

Defient

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks for the advice! I'm just trying to get the most out of my initial build as I can, so I was trying to do a bit of future proofing. DDR3 is insanely expensive right now lol, so maybe it will come down in the future who knows. So maybe I should look into a DDR2 only?

You could get a GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard, and use it with DDR2 for now. This way you can replace the RAM with DDR3 later when DDR3 prices become reasonable. It's a good mobo, I have one. Or just get a GA-P35-DS3R, save $30, and forget DDR3 until your next motherboard.

I like all your selections.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Ummm the fact that he has a good setup is the reason the monitor maybe bottleneck it. With a GTX you can push out more res than 1680x1050 at a good fps...