mexxa

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
I am not sure about where fans should go for Airflow optimization. I am guessing that the front fan should suck air in and the back case should suck air out. I have the typical air duct on the top left of my case. Do I need to put a fan there? if so, should it suck air in or out? I think its in, but since warm air moves up shouldnt you suck the air out? I also have a vent int he lower left, should that fan suck air in or out? What about the one in the lower right side? Thank you for your help.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
The things you are asking can get really complicated. As for the air duct, it's more efficient if you blow air in on a cpu cooler with a fan blowing the same direction. As for the other spots, it's hard to tell sometimes. What I like to do is imagine how the airflow flows. You want it like air push in in the front and push air out in the back type of thing.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
for me, I like to have direct airflow on any device that generates heat, then other fans in the area to suck that hot air out as soon as possible

if your in to modding, you could mod your side panel to have a 80-120mm fan blowing directly on the cpu heatsink so the cold air from outside of the case goes directly to the cpu (for me, I would either make a vent duct that will connect that 120mm fan to the cpu heatsink fan so theres a rush of cold air going directly to the heatsink)

I also have a 80mm fan blowing directly on the videocard

and then I feel where there is hot air and wind, then I install a case fan that will suck that air out (modding your case like this can make the case look ugly really fast but it gives great results in keeping everything really cool )