x1900XTX OC, Upgrade now or later?

I currently have the below system with an x1900xtx OCed to 722/855. I plan to purchase Crysis and I play alot of BF2142 which it still runs at very high frames with everything maxed on my 22" ws. I see the 2900 Pro's OC very well and look like a good buy as well as the 8800 gts's. I built my rig about a year ago and am just curious if I should look at upgrading the video yet or not. I enjoy playing my games are reasonably good graphics levels. Obviously Oblivion has some trouble with my card but then again even it seems to take the heat out of anything you can throw at it. What are your thoughts? Hang onto my card for another year or so? I hear the 65nm highend cards are on the horizon.

thoughts?

Yea i have a thought what system? there must have been something go wrong as i cant see it.
On the video side you still have a solid card and i see no point upgrading it unless you want dx10 badly then your best option is to wait for the new cards.
Mactronix

Not sure what happened, its been a while since I have visited the site and they changed stuff.

E6400 @3.2ghz (1.4125v) w/ Thermalright Ultra-120
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 4-4-4-12
Sapphire X1900XTX @722/855 w/Thermalright HR-03
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
CoolMax 600W Power Supply
Dell 22" E228WFP

I honestly think your x1900xtx deserves to live for another year or so. It's a great card. Are there any games where it stinks, right now?

At least wait until November or whenever the new nVidia high-end card shows up. The 8800 GTX is better than the x1900xtx, but I wouldn't pay $500 or $600 for the difference.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would wait until the new cards are released later this fall.
Depending on price, you could switch then.

I don't see the point in upgrading from a card that can get the job done when there may be major upgrades soon.

NVIDIA and ATI are not saying much, but I suspect good things.

The 8800GTX has simply been out there too long w/o a replacement for NVIDIA to not have something up its sleeve.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I have the same card and I will be waiting for either the 2950XT or the 9800 GTS/GTX's to come out before I make a jump. The 2950's I believe should be decent cards since they are going to be on 55nm and AMD has had a chance to fix a few problems and drivers for the card should be relatively decent considering that the uses very similar arch to the 2900's. This is what I am doing and would do if I was you. lol, hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball

Thats a very nicely balanced systen i wouldnt touch it untill you got to the point where it was strugling then as has been said look towards the 2950XT and whatever theyy end up calling the Nvidea alternative.
Mactronix

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Yep, agree with everyone else's advice. Unless you really have to have DX10, which seems to have limited benefit right now, stick with the X1900XTX.

You would see some benefit from a 8800GTX, but it's a lot of cash to spend.

I don't have many issues with BF2142, I max that out and get anywhere from 60-100 fps depending on maps and such. Other games can lag a bit like SupCom which I don't play much anymore and Company of Hero's. But really its not Tooo bad. I'm looking more of Crysis and upcomming games.

No I will not be going Vista until Bill Gates hold a knife to my neck or a REALLY good game is Vista only.

I also thought about it I would need vista, which is a performance hit anway. AND probably a beefier PSU. So it's more than just the cost of a Vid Card.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
yeah, a good general rule is "wait until you can't bear your setup, then upgrade" (which is why I upgraded from an 8600 so fast, I had extreme buyer remorse)

I had been gun ho about getting a DX10 card, but I guess that would require Vista, and Vista is evil. Plus from what I am gathering is you take a performance hit going to Vista and then worse yet going DX10 taking another performance hit. I think I will stick to my DX9 gaming for a little while longer.