Cannot connect to network

leggo my eggo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
I recently reinstalled windows(Windows XP Pro SP2). After i had set everything up i tried connecting to a home network. after putting in the cable i looked at network connections and there was none. I checked device manager and there were three "?" icons one said "audio driver" another "sm bus" and "ethernet controller".

I figured the ethernet controller was to blame. it said that the driver was missing. the first thing i do is look at my manufacturers(compaq) site on another comp and couldnt find any drivers that said "ethernet".

so i pop open my case and look for logos and the actual port had a "foxconn" printed on it. so i go to thier site on a wild goose chase. i then scour the internet for a suitable driver but cant fing anything.

i then recall that my comp had a network adapter in the past. i go back to the compaq site and they have a driver for a nVidia nForce network adapter. thinking i finally found it i transfer the driver to my comp and install it. the install went smoothly but did nothing. i again look at the device manager and the adapter wasnt listed. i remember it being on the list before i reinstalled.

i crack open my pc again and sure enough there is a chip with the nvidia logo that says nForce mcp.

i dont know what to do, ive worked on this for 10 days. i dont want to put anymore money into my 5 year old system because im saving up for new.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
After you make sure all drivers are installed,unplug your modem and router and turn off computer.Then in this order plug in and turn on the modem then the router then the computer.

leggo my eggo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2007
ive already tried to use that but it has no effect. its almost as if the computer doesnt recognize the network adapter. it is not listed as hardware in everwhere i looked on windows.