Problems setting up speakers

chris1784

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
There is nothing wrong with the equipment, I'm just having trouble setting it up. My Sub box has two outputs one for the rear and front, green and black. My motherboard, a GA-965P-DS3, has 6 audio jacks (Line In / Line Out / MIC In/Surround Speaker Out (Rear Speaker Out)/Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out). Does anyone know how I can set this up correctly?

my speakers are "cambridge soundworks fps 1800"
http://www.thetechguide.com/articles/fps-1800.html

chris1784

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
connect your speakers to the sub, then connect the sub to the onboard sound. if you are unsure of where to connect them, there should be a channel testing app that came with onboard sound, just run the test until all the wires are connected up properly.

sorry, not much help but it is difficult doing this remotely.
well i do have them all 4 working now, but It only has stereo, left and right. I was hoping seting this up as sorround, left rear left front and what not.

chris1784

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
i don't have an accompanying software, I've been using the control palen. I set it to quadraphonic speakers but no luck. It only works on left to right. I think i might have to buy a sound card.

The additional speakers may need to be plugged into the mobo outputs, and the audio software then sets what is where. Unless the subwoofer has multiple inputs, its multiple outputs will either be relatively meaningless or it has an amp that synthesizes four channels out of two.

Try this:

Instead of quadraphonic, select 5.1 surround in control panel. Then go to speaker setup and uncheck the speaker you don't have (center channel). Also, select 'Small Speakers' in the setup. Test the speakers out and see if you have the four separate channels (center channels should be passed on to the two front speakers now).

Post back if this works.