Sign in with
Your question

Why the more I overclock the lower FPS I get?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 18, 2007 3:58:13 AM

I have the E6600 Core 2 Duo and I have kept it at stock 2.4GHz up until now. When i try to overclock it to 2.5, 2.6, 2.5GHz my FPS slow way down each time more and more. I am using the Crysis CPU Benchmark. With 2.4 I am getting 19.41 Average FPS and when i tried overclocking to about 2.7GHz, I got 16.8 Average FPS. I have heard of the term bottle necking and I think thats whats happening. I have the GamerXStream 700w power supply and my CPU voltage is currently set to 1.325. I would love to get a little more juice out of my CPU. Please help.

My Specs:
Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked (Core 700, Mem 975)
2GB Corssair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12)
700w OCZ GamerXStream PSU
eVGA 680i Mobo
320GB Hard drive 16MB cache 7200RPM
Windows XP

More about : overclock lower fps

December 18, 2007 4:13:52 PM

Could possibly be that your CPU is throtteling to prevent overheating, I noticed you didnt mention any tempratures. Run some prime small FFT's for 10 minutes with speedfan/coretemp open.
December 18, 2007 5:47:22 PM

bildo123 said:
Could possibly be that your CPU is throtteling to prevent overheating, I noticed you didnt mention any tempratures. Run some prime small FFT's for 10 minutes with speedfan/coretemp open.

Oh sorry forgot to mention. I have absolutely great cooling and my CPU at idle is about 38 degrees C' and under load I have never seen it go over 47 degrees. I have played Crysis for about 2 hours and continued to check my temps and everything was very nice and cool.
Related resources
April 22, 2008 4:56:18 PM

I know this thread is 4 months old, but I'm having the same problem with a friends PC. He has great cooling, and ANY kind of overclocking results in lower frames. Any guidance at all would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
April 22, 2008 5:49:39 PM

you must look at the thoroughput of any given system. cpu speed, memory bandwidth, memory timing, memory latency, Front Side Bus to memory ratio, stable power supply, and large capcitor motherboard. without a deep and thorough understanding of how a data is pre-fetched, executed in a pipleline, cache trees, and bus delivery to subsystems such as graphics subsystems, you're going to be in a big mess of confusion.

lesson: stop believing the lies that faster CPU gives you better real world performance. a "choke" is a self destructive in thoroughput performance in any given system. Also, a stable FSB is important so you do not get jittering or fsb to memory unsynchronized lag.
April 22, 2008 6:00:55 PM

I don't have all the answer to your backward performance problem as I don't have the luxury to know all the details of your system. But let me tell you what I have, maybe you can copy or do something similar.

Q9450 @ 3.334Ghz 1666mhz FSB rock stable 1.168 V stock voltage, OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 1333mhz 6-6-6-18 1.75 factory overclocked, EVGA 690i Ultra 3-SLI, 8800 GTS (G92) 740mhz Core 2116mhz Memory Green Status overclock. My FSB to Memory is exactly 5:4 ratio, so the thorough put is extremely precise and well managed by the motherboard. The Graphics subsystem is overclocked on 100% safe green level to handle incoming data to 3D video output.

I run Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance mostly, works silky smooth on 1920x1200 on high fidelity and high settings, on the largest maps, on biggest battlefields. I run Microsoft Flight Simulator X on high and ultra high settings 1920x1200. I run Crysis 1920x1200 no AA, silky smooth. On all 3 of these games, optimized for Quad Core, the FPS is faster than 2.66Ghz stock speed, meaning, it utilize all system components, equally but great thoroughput. Not one component is too fast for the other component to catch up. So, this to me at stock voltage overclocking is my favorite philosophy. I can actually overclock higher in all components but, no. No need. Not for another 2 years, I don't need to.

If you own a high-end latest generation graphics card, you can overclock Core, Shader, and Memory. Make sure your Core/Share are synched, I notice FPS suffer when I only overclock Core and Memory but leave the Shader the same.
April 22, 2008 6:23:32 PM

:) 

The FSB could be to blame, after all, there are so many straps and holes in random spots. If your FSB is currently set near one, it can make random weird things happen.

At least if it's that, it is easy to fix, just modify your FSB a few points in either direction! (Hehe, and then if you go up, hopefully you were not running an exceptionally low NB voltage, or you may need to up that as well.)

Like Q_Metatron said, its all pretty much linked.

--Lupi!
April 22, 2008 8:28:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys it's much appreciated. I didn't think about the NB voltage, it is set to default and I will go home and try it out after work.
April 23, 2008 12:08:22 AM

I'd say unstable system, which is linked to what others have said. :) 

Run 24hours Prime95 blend test, then after 24hours Prime95 small FFT test to ensure stability.
!