Sign in with
Your question

Looking Back

Tags:
  • Programming
  • Apps
Last response: in Apps General Discussion
July 11, 2012 9:55:24 PM

So I've been programming, reading code, and learning methodology and theory for a few years. I was just thinking back and was wondering when everyone else started to program.
I started wanting to learn when I was ten. Didn't have anyone to really help me out and get me started, and this is when I didn't have a computer of my own, so I didn't get anywhere with it. Then when I was fifteen I actually started learning more about it and looked into Python, at sixteen and seventeen I started learning about Java, mostly reading the code. I never really liked Java. Then when I was 17.5 I started learning C/C++ and have been learning that and coding that ever sense. I'm almost 19 now.

More about : back

July 12, 2012 4:04:46 AM

Several years (2004 maybe) ago I was working grave yard at a mill and we had a bit of down time from time to time in the evening. Purely out of curiosity I picked up Visual Basic book and started reading it. VB is pretty common in industrial environments which is why I picked it.

I started looking at repetitive and cumbersome things that I was doing and started making my own tools to make my job easier, more efficient. Around the time that VB.NET 2008 was released I started using that platform. Although my job is not exactly to programming computers (I program http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_control..." target="_blank">PLC's]/url]), I still use it quite a bit.

I've been studying Python lately just to see something a little different. To make it more interesting, I switch to Linux at home about 8 months ago.

I also bought myself an Arduino recently so I'll be tinkering with that too.
m
l
July 13, 2012 9:01:02 PM

In college in the late 70's started with fortran, and punch cards, moved up to basic, basica and gwbasic, after that I was out of the programming loop, but now have to get back into it, c++, sql, python, java linux and klingon :)  (Wierd Al white and nerdy reference)
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2012 11:48:11 PM

How far are you in C++? If you need a fellow programmer to tread the way with you I'm learning C++ also...I'm actually thinking about putting tutorials up on Youtube, just to reinforce what I'm learning and to help others out. If you haven't started you could follow along.
m
l
July 14, 2012 2:30:15 PM

Started in mid 90's with turbo pascal, then got into C/C++. I am a full time professional programmer since I finished coledge a few years ago and during my student years I was a part time programmer. Now I still use C++ a lot, but due to need, added C# and SQL to that 6 years ago, with one very short "trip" to Objective-C.
m
l
!