help on overclocking ???

gavinski

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
if some one could give me a dummies guide to overclocking my new system that would be great my specs are

ASUS AGEIA PHYSX 128MB GRAPHICS CARD
ASUS GEFORCE 8800 N8800GTX/HTDP768 x 2 SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 processor
CORSAIR DDR2 TWIN2 2X2048-64-C5DH MEMORY 4GB
WESTERN DIGITAL HD Raptor x4 Raid 0
Asus Striker Extreme motherboard
Coolermaster Stacker 832 black PC case
OCZ GAMEXSTREAM 1010W SILENT SLI READY ATX

the only thing is that everything is running stock cooling, is it worth overclocking ?

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thats an awsome setup :love: (didn't really need a PHYSX card but hey & i never thought i'd use that smiley either). Most ppl buy cheaper then overclock to your specs, so really there isn't a massive need for you to overclock your system. However, if i were you i would attempt it as Intels are childs play at overclocking atm. Your using stock cooling so there is no need to o/c your gfx. Your CPU has loads to unleash, but wouldn't recommend going over 3ghz again because of stock cooling and the heat quads pump out.

Very simple to o/c:

Just raise the FSB in steps of 5-10Mhz till it gets unstable or too hot, when stability testing with 'Orthos'. If it's unstable try lower the ram to 667. Use 'HW Monitor' or 'SpeedFan' to check your temps. There may be some intel version of Cool & Quiet you need to turn off (ask an intel o/cer, i think it's called 'Speed Step'). Best bet is to read the Stickies on this forum, they are very detailed and should be your first port of call in regards to overclocking.

Just to point out i'm an avid AMD o/c'er so others may say different and be right. I wouldn't recommend changing any voltages because of the stock cooling.

gavinski

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
thanks closed_deal for your help so all i need to do is increase fsb i dont need to do anything with memory timings or anything like that ? you like my sytem then lol but i am only getting around 15000 on 3d benchmark is this normal i dont think 3d mark is taking into account my sli config because i cant see it on my system config but it is enabled though the nvidia control panel

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
lol - only getting 15k. FFS i struggle to get close to 14k and thats pulling all the whistles an bells outta my rig :lol:. Anyhow yeah FSB increase should be fine i doubt your RAM should struggle that much. If you get over a 50Mhz FSB increase i would start thinking about maybe increasing ram voltage by a max of 0.2v or decreasing it to 667. Easy way of finding out if SLI is working in 3DMark disable it in nvidia control panel retake the test. Have you applied the 3DMark06 patch?

gavinski

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
no i havent applied any patch yet what do you think i can get my cpu up to with stock cooling i think it current runs at 2.66ghz

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Stock cooling i reckon a square 3.0Ghz get yerself a Thermaright Ultra Extreme 120 with a fan and i know it'll clock to 3.6 albiet with alot of tweaking. Patch for 3DMark06 is here http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06patch110/