FREQUENCY OVER RANGE in BIOS

boingboing

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Alright... I'm having a huge problem lately...

Three weeks after installing my new computer, I started having this weird problem "FREQUENCY OVER RANGE".

Apparently, it does it from time to time?!?!

It stopped two times already, and then restarts doing it steadily...

THE WIERD THING IS; when I let my computer off for a couple of minutes or hours, it boots and does the error a few minutes after, but as soon as I restart it, it does it seconds after, even in the BIOS.

Now I really need you guys to help me out on this one, cause I have no idea what the problem is...

Windows is UNINSTALLED, I was about to reinstall it and it did the error again, making my Windows installation interrupt and end up in a NTLDR missing thingy...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSI P35 Platinum Rev. 1.1
e6750 Core2Duo
ATI Radeon X1950XT 256MB
OCZ PC2 6400 DDR2 800 Platinum Rev. 2 2GB
Enermax Liberty 400W

boingboing

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Do you think it could be that I'm lacking power and that my Power Supply is too weak?

Even when I disconnected the Hard Drive, it did that to me again; Blue box with "FREQUENCY OVER RANGE" written in it... it has got to be either the mobo, the graphic card or the power suply I think...

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
put a different video card in it.. 99.99% that its the video card if its happening in BIOS. that is of course assuming you have tested the monitor and its cable on another computer to verify its working.

all system post with standardized resolution and refresh settings. if the monitor work right, then only thing it can be is the video card, since it actually generates the display timings (the cpu/mobo only tell it what setting standard setting to use)

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What frequency/resolution is the display set to? Sounds like refresh setting is too high for the monitor, or may be monitor going faulty. That PSU may be a bit low for that setup. A good quality 500W would be better. Use Speedfan to monitor 5V & 12V rails for stability.

Mike.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Are you running DVI or the old VGA connection?

DVI is great, as long as your signal is good enough for your monitor to reconstruct the image. The signal does somewhat turn into an analog signal over wire, and DVI is good because it reconstructs the original signal. If however, the DVI cable sucks, is too long, or isn't shielded adequately then the signal basically goes haywire and you get Frequency Out of Range on some monitors. The same is true if you use one of those VGA to DVI converters.

So you might want to check out if you are using DVI and/or VGA and if you are using a converter. The best is obviously DVI via no connector...