Huge idle/load temps on E2180

natf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Hi there,

This is my first post here so please be gentle :)

Title should be huge "difference" in temps btw :)

It's been a while since I have overclocked a CPU, as most of my machines have been shuttles or media centre's of late.

However I decided to build a new PC and opted for a E2180. I currently have it running stable at 3ghz (300x10) at 1.41v according to CPU-Z. I tried to bring this down lower but its not stable. At idle, when the CPU has dropped to 1800mhz, the latest version of CoreTemp is reporting my temps as 20/21 for each core. However, when I run Orthos, the voltage drops to 1.39v and the temps jump almost instantly to 50/51c! Now I know thats not insanely high, but should they be that much higher than at idle?

Just for some added info, my mainboard is the Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, and I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro running at 2500rpm all the time. I have taken this off an reseated it, but it makes no difference. Oh and the case is a Coolermaster CM690 with 3x 120mm intake fans lower down and 2x 120mm exhaust fans at the top. Even when the temps are up at 50 or so, the air coming out of the back is not even warm and the heat pipes/fins of the Freezer Pro are cool to the touch.

Is this normal or should I be looking for problems here?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Nathan

natf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I have just put SpeedFan on also and its reporting excatly the same temps. Its also saying the HDD is 23c. But I have to say it is cold in this room, but not that cold! LOL

Its also reading Temp1 as 32c, which I am assuming is abient?

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
speed fan usually reports lower than core temp untill it is calibrated.
so I'm thinking maybe you need a newer version of core temp.

natf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I am on version 0.95.4 of CoreTemp. Just for consistency, I installed Gigabyte's EasyTune5 and thats reporting the same temps to within a degree of the other two.

Are the load temps OK by the way?

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Theres deff something wrong here. I really don't think there should be a delta of 30c. I don't think the temps are being mesured correctly however. If those are the correct load temps you should be fine, it's the 30c delta that bothers me. I'm going to sit this one out for a while and see if someone eles has more wisdom than myself.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As long as the CPU cooler is properly seated, an Idle to Load Delta of up to 25c is normal at 1.35 Vcore. However, as Vcore increases above default spec's, Idle to Load Delta also increases above spec's. A 30c Delta is normal and expected at 1.4 Vcore.

Comp :sol:

natf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Many thanks to CompuTronix and Deranged for your answers! I will rest easy knowing I dont have some huge problem to address!

Oh and thanks for that excellent temp guide sticky at the top of these forums Comp. I shall be following that thread's advice.

Regards,

Nathan