Motherboard pin issue

valkon

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hello all,

I just built a new system with a Kandalf LCS. The motherboard CPU fan connection is 4 pins and the Thermaltake waterblock has 3 pins (for the LED). When I plug the 3 pin connector to the motherboard, I can't get the computer to boot (BIOS beeps say there's a "hardware failure"). The only way it will boot is if I connect the 4pin connector from the stock fan that came with the Intel processor. Is there any way around this? It won't boot if I leave it empty or if I try to jumper the last 2 pins.

Another side issue, when I turn the computer on, everything powers on for about 4-5 seconds, then it shuts down and powers back on and everything is fine. I tried adding some more modular cables on my PSU and splitting up some of the fans and such on separate rails (I was thinking that maybe there was too much power being drawn on bootup from one rail) but it didn't fix anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've scoured the forums and google but to no ado. Thanks!

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

The "Hardware failure" is due to the Bios not detecting the RPM of a CPU fan, therefore it thinks there's a heatsink with a defective or missing fan and thus does not allow booting in case the CPU should overheat. (it can't know there's water cooling) Set to "ignore" in the bios if possible, set the CPU fan in Bios to "DC" again if possible, and update the bios. DON'T fiddle with the connector otherwise for heavens sakes! Leave the CPU header with nothing connected and get DC for the LEDs elsewhere. Or use a system fan on the CPU header. Probably the instructions for the water cooling kit will address this issue.

The start and restart at turn on seems to be common among recent boards, my P5k does the same thing on a Silverstone PSU. Don't worry about it.

valkon

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
I tried plugging in a different fan and it did indeed work! Thanks :)

Also, the PSU magically fixed itself and stopped restarting on its own. Didn't do anything differently, odd eh? I won't complain.

Thanks again!