Which 8800GTS would you buy ??

Just wondering which 8800GTS card you guys would buy ??

My PC specs are below:
BFG Tech nForce 680i SLi Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz
Zalman 7000 CPU Cooler
Corsair Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8500
2 x WD Raptor HDD 150gb (RAID 1)
2 x WD Caviar HDD 500gb (RAID 1)
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750Watt PSU
NO VIDEO CARD (Thinking about - 8800 GTS 640MB)
(Windows XP Pro SP2 - Vista Sucks)

EVGA 640-P2-N827-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130081
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 580MHz
DirectX: DirectX 10
DVI: 2
Model #: 640-P2-N827-AR
Item #: N82E16814130081

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOC2E GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143092
Core clock: 580MHz
Model #: BFGR88640GTSOC2E
Item #: N82E16814143092

XFX PVT80GTHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDCP Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150215
Core clock: 600MHz
Model #: PVT80GTHD4
Item #: N82E16814150215

There is not a massive difference in price, so I am more worried about performance and quality of product.

Cheers
36 answers Last reply
More about which 8800gts
  1. If your willing to spend $460+ for a gts you might as well save $40 and buy a gtx ! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127281
  2. Hey lx_flier,

I have thought about it, but I am going to start with just the one card for now, and possibly move to 2x SLi later.

At the moment I don't really want the extra budget of another PSU, as mine is certified for dual GTS not dual GTX.
    And the GTX is a longer card, and I don't know yet if it would fit in my Cooler Master 330 Elite case.
  3. Go with the EVGA, that way you can step-up in 2-3 months if a nvidia die shrink comes along for the GTX.
  4. if u can put it in your case , definitely go for 8800GTX
  5. It will fit... Get the GTX. just because your PSU isn't certed doesn't mean it wont work!
  6. If all things are equal, get the BFG because you get a T-shirt and some stickers like "bad ass gfx" :D

If you're serious about SLI do it with GTX cards, not GTS. Look for older threads on this subject, we've had several. In most cases a single 8800 GTX is a better choice than 8800 GTS SLI, even if the fps are a bit lower in benchmarks.

Your PSU is not bad. With four 12V rails at 19A each, it's pretty powerful. However, it can't handle 8800 GTX SLI because that would require 4 PCI-E connectors and this power supply only has 2.

If you really need SLI it means you've spent around $1500 on a 30" monitor and another $1000 on video cards. OK, so you'll have to spend another $200 for a new PSU when you add the second card. Annoying, yes. Major problem, no.
  7. aevm,

I like your thinking .. !!

SLi is not a priority, although performance is.

I plan to run 2x 24" LCDs, as I do a lot of programming and need the extra desktop area.
    And of cause will be gaming on just one of these.

Anyone know if a GTX will fit in a Cooler Master 330 Elite.
    Keep in mind there are 4 Hard Drives and they may block the GTX.

This was really down to budget, that I could afford a GTS now and upgrade to another for SLi later.
    My build is still incomplete (just video and screens to get) so maybe I should wait to afford a GTX and have a better build.
  8. Using the Raptors would be a extreme overkill if you have nothing that's moving that much data from harddrives to take advantage of them (like huge videos-loading small programs (os) and games don't count). Save the money and that would be enough to get TWO GTX video cards right there. And having a LCD 24" monitor, you want the best video card you can get to push the resolution of the screen at a good fps for gaming.
    And why get a low-end case for a high-end system? At least get a case that can handle the air flow needed.
    http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/product_detail.asp?ProdID=529
    Even this case, which is fairly cheap, does a very good job and has ALOT of room. And one note, the newer models of that case (i have one btw) has 2 120mm fans. Be patient and do some research. Better safe then sorry.
  9. I already have all the components above, and the case is fitted with 2x 120mm fans, plus the Zalman CPU cooler.

Again I already have the raptors, and I beg to differ, and there is no way I am trading them in ;-)

I did have some doubts over the case, and a possible change might be to the Cooler Master Stacker, or the Cooler Master Cosmos, although they are very large, it might be a good move.
  10. cm stacker 830 off ebuyer for £130. Suits me perfect, cant wait to water cool it.
  11. Just be aware that most new/older games will lock you out of selecting high image quality textures, don't confuse this with screen resolution or screen size. I play GRAW & GRAW 2 and because I only have 256MB of Vram I can only choose medium texture quality. :( With all the new games in develepment, 256/320MB will not cut it anymore. Games are getting more and more complex and will require more system resorces including Vram.
  12. Yeah I was thinking of a minimum of 512MB for a video card.
    As I listed in my spec (Thinking about - 8800 GTS 640MB)

But with the choice of cards I am looking at, it will end up being a 640MB now.

So I see the EVGA is stomping ahead on the poll.

Anyone got any reasons for this ??

Just wondering what makes this a better card, compared to the BFG that is over-clocked straight out of the box ?
  13. i am not in US , but i have heard that EVGA has the best support and service and warranty + it has step up too
  14. Just a quick thought: CM Stacker + 8800 GTS looks good, but Centurion 534 + 8800 GTX plays better, and the total price is about the same. Cut the case budget, not the video card budget, if you can't have the best for both.
  15. The only reason for me going with EVGA (Nov getting EVGA 8800GTX) is because of the step-up program. If in 90 days NVidia comes out with any newer card that kicks the 8800GTX I will step-up.
  16. How about Leadtek and Gigabyte.

Anyone have experiences with those. I have a Leadtek 7800 GT and I was thinking about upgrading, but it doesn't seem like I need too. Any input? Thanks.
  17. I'm with Aevm on the case situation. Cheaper (bigger) case and a GTX, you won't regret it. Now if your concerned a bit about the $ (who isn't), you could get a 2900 pro 512mb/1gig model for less than the 8800gts 640mb and do a OC to XT speeds (close to if not better than a stock GTX for most things). I found this CM case deal on zzf and wanted to pass it on, since it's about the same as the CM 534 Aevm suggested and is cheaper after MIR than the 534.

Case - $70 shipped - $20 MIR = $50! Can hold 2 8800gtx,s!! What a deal
    COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Mid Tower Case Retail ***Free Shipping***
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006342

Edit: forgot to add proof of 2 8800gtx's statement
    Reviews

cluboverclocker.com:September 2007

This is one nice mid-tower. While the case has a ton going for it, it could be a little better. There is no removable motherboard tray and the case is made of heavy steel. Those are very small complaints when you look at the case as a whole. A big plus for this case is it will fit 2 8800GTX's in SLI. I have an 8800GTS installed and you can see all of the extra room available. This case is also designed for nice airflow while keeping the noise down. The HDD trays have rubber grommets to eliminate noise causing vibration and the power supply opening is lined with a rubber gasket to do the same. The large 120mm fans will move more air at less RPMs then a 80mm fan. This will also cut your noise level down. Even the large rubber feet will help keep the noise level down. Overall this is a very nice case loaded with features that you'd find on much more expensive cases. Club Overclocker Recommended!
  18. EVGA STEPUP!!!!!!!! You know the new ATI cards are comeing out due to them dumping the 2900XT in the fourm of the 2900PRO. Kind of like the 7900GTO right before 8800.

Nvidia could have moved quicker, but had no reason to. In the next month or two lots of things will change. So, EVGA STEPUP!!!
  19. The EVGA Step Up program sounds good.
    But what about it's performance compared to the others aslo.

joewho,
    Sorry dude, I think ATI suck, nVidia is the leader and has been for some time now.
    Plus with a Nvidia/nForce based Mobo, I think it would be silly to go for an ATI GPU.

And I'm sure people will debate ATis new card and performance over the GTS/GTX, but making one good card after lagging behind for so long does not put ATI back in the game.
  20. bfg72 said:

Sorry dude, I think ATI suck, nVidia is the leader and has been for some time now.
    Plus with a Nvidia/nForce based Mobo, I think it would be silly to go for an ATI GPU.

LOL i get the feeling this is gonna start a flame war :lol:

oh and irrespective of what chipset your mobo uses, unless ur going sli, all cards will work on them just fine...even ati cards.

also nvidia have been the leader in the new gen I agree. But before that it was pretty much ati all the time.
  21. Unless you have a really high-res moniter, I'd save some money and get the 320mb version. It gets the same performance as the 640mb, except when at resolutions like 1920x1200.
  22. Save money and get a 320mb version for like $200 less. Or if you have cash to blow just buy 2 of them. I just bought a new 320mb evga gts superclocked for $260 at my local MicroCenter. Dunno how much they are at newegg but probably close to that price. 640mb isn't really necessary unless, like the above poster mentioned, you have a need to run super-high resolutions.
  23. bfg72 said:
    The EVGA Step Up program sounds good.
    But what about it's performance compared to the others aslo.

joewho,

And I'm sure people will debate ATis new card and performance over the GTS/GTX, but making one good card after lagging behind for so long does not put ATI back in the game.

Agreed! It took ATI 8 months to catch up to the 8800 series cards, so sad. ATI hasn't been good with release dates and their drivers are still in need of improvement.
  24. systemlord,

Ain't that the truth .. !!

Anyway back to the topic, after the original post I may end up with a GTX, but really depends on budget.

The EVGA step-up program sounds good, but I'm not sure that's enough reason to get a card to upgrade it 90 days later.

I'm more concerned about performance and quality.

And hey, what's BFG's T-shirt like .. hee hee
  25. hok said:
    How about Leadtek and Gigabyte.

Anyone have experiences with those. I have a Leadtek 7800 GT and I was thinking about upgrading, but it doesn't seem like I need too. Any input? Thanks.

Don't yet.
  26. I have the 8800 gts from EVGA. I havent had the slightest problem with it so far...I love it
  27. bfg72 said:
    And hey, what's BFG's T-shirt like .. hee hee

I have one from my purchase of my BFG 7800GTX 256MB card and its a nice T-shirt still! I still have it after two years. The difference between a BFG or an EVGA card is basicly the same performance except for what is bundled with the card and of corse the warranty. Sometimes the cards even come with a game, Asus's card inclueds Ghost Recon Advanced Warefighter.
  28. If you like RTS games like WIC, it demands more than an 8800Ultra can handle. >>http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/459/
  29. WIC is a poorly written game like RAINBOW SIX VEGAS,
    My 8800GTX handles it just fine with everything maxed out @ 1680x1050
  30. Thanks for the replies guys, I see the EVGA is leaping ahead in the poll.

Is this purely down to the Step-Up program, or are there other reasons for this?

It makes sense to go with the GTX over the GTS, which was my original post, but the question still applies.

Which is the best card and WHY ??

Cheers
  31. Why pay so much for the 640 when the 320 gives you almost the same amount of performance for less cashola?
  32. OOOwatah said:
    Why pay so much for the 640 when the 320 gives you almost the same amount of performance for less cashola?

Why buy a BMW M5 (500hp) when I could buy a BMW M3 (350hp), for almost the same performance !!

I think that speaks for itself really.

The topic changed slightly sorry, as I think I am going for the GTX over the GTS (640MB) as stated in the poll.
    But the question still stands as to which one to buy, regarding performance and quality of product.
  33. Honestly, you're comparing apples to oranges.

I voted for the evga as I have never had any issues with any evga card I've owned.

I was making a suggestion to save you some cash and you beat me with a nonsensical comparison. Go you.
  34. Bullet point
    Evga- step-up program
    XFX- double lifetime warranty

Evga- #1 choice, but
    if any of these might pertain you may consider XFX
    Do you overclock?
    If you upgrade after 90days you can sell your old card with it having a lifetime warranty to the new buyer
    Would that add any $ to you re-cooping any of your origional investment?
  35. I have no plans to overclock, and unless the next best card on the planet comes out in the next 90 days, I doubt I would upgrade.

So I'm not sure I would benefit from the Step-Up.

And to "OOOwatah", I did say I was looking for performance and quality.

Although the topic has moved on from the original question on the GTS, to a possible GTX.
    I would not move down to a 320MB to save a couple of bucks.
  36. The reason I believe that the 8800 GTX is the best is because using 4xAA & 8xAF filtering barely affects performance when enabled in almost all games. 2nd is it has plenty of Vram for future games that may/will need it. The better the card you buy now the longer you will own it because newer games won't challege it like the med-end (320MB/640MB) models. Last these 8800 GTX's haven't been selling like hot cakes for nothing, and with Crysis recommended spec's being for the graphics card 8800 GTS 640MB on better...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product