Windows 8, this is at least what

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
It should have or Microsoft is just a joke.

1. Photo Viewer has to support animated gifs for god sake.
2. Windows Media Player has to at least have the codecs to support most formats
3. Internet Explorer needs to at least be a competitor with other browsers not at the bottom of benchmarks
4. Windows explorer backgrounds need to be customizable by default
5. Any Video should be able to be set as a background
6. They shouldn't make it a 128 bit system because even now there is a bunch of software that doesn't work with 64 bit

Knowing Microsoft though none of these will happen, What do you think.

MS windows and fax viewer (hopefully they'll add the gif support again, but who knows)

WMP has automatic service where it searches the database and downloads the codecs, the fact that MS codec database is *** has little to do with WMP.

you can install any other player, they won't work unless you got the codecs.

IE9 is not at the bottom of the benchmarks, there was an article on this very website about the speed, if you care go find it and read it.

explorer bg - that maybe, I honestly don't see the point, you can adjust the color on appearance tab, if you want to slap a custom pic on it, well yeah that might be nice, but honestly, that's like less than 1% of the users that want to do that. I doubt this will happen.

video as desktop bg - again, same as above, no point, doubt it will happen.

that's not windows fault, that's the software developer fault. I agree windows should get better emulation methods to make 32/16 bit apps work.

squareenixx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

Agree with most except the codec bit. I mean most third party media players like VLC and KMP have internal codecs and support 99.9% of formats. So you don't have to go around installing codecs.

Unlike what you said anyone on a fresh machine could just install VLC or KMP and they would be set.

Also WMP is pathetic compared to most third party media players the only thing I like about WMP is the SRS wow effects but thats it.

I mean WMP can't make screens. WMP doesn't let you choose different renderer's and WMP doesn't even have filters.

Also I don't think its the software developers fault I think its Microsoft's. Microsoft just can't change the architecture and blame all the devs out there because their software doesn't work on windows anymore. Microsoft caused the problem not them.

i agree that MS not wanting to keep updated on the latest codecs is a dumb choice on their part, I'd love to see better functionality/support for 3rd party codecs (like WMP at least giving you a link of where to go to get the appropriate codec) but then again, I don't think they are trying to compete with VLC using WMP, because lets face it's just not even in the same league.