Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on a gaming lanbox

Last response: in Systems
September 18, 2007 11:05:27 PM

Okay, my friend's looking to put together a tidy, portable PC and yours truly gets to help him out. :)  Without further ado, here's what we've got in mind:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
CPU HSF: ZEROtherm BTF90 92mm Silent UFO CPU Cooler
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX
RAM: 2x1GB A-DATA DDR2 800
Hard Drive: 320GB WD Caviar SE16
Optical Drive: Samsung Black 20X DVD Burner
Case: Thermaltake VF1000BWS Black Aluminum Front Panel/ SECC Chassis MicroATX
PSU: HIPER HPU-4B580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W

He's a gamer and he really wants to be able to have all the bells and whistles turned on and smooth gameplay with the latest games. You'll no doubt notice there's no graphics card in there, but he's decided to wait until Gears of War comes out for PC later this year - to see if prices on good DX10 cards come down, and to get a better idea of what the game's requirements will be. So my main questions are:

1. The integrated graphics (ATI Radeon Xpress 1250) on that mobo should be sufficient for light gaming (Warcraft III and the like) and Aero, right? (Just want to be sure it will hold him until he gets a dedicated graphics card.)
2. Will that power supply fit in that case? I've never done builds with MicroATX cases, so I'm a little out of my element.
3. Do you think ventilation will be an issue with that case, with both that CPU and a good gaming GPU? I can probably convince him to go with a cooler CPU (maybe one of the Brisbanes) if you think it would be prudent. Thanks in advance!

More about : opinions gaming lanbox

September 19, 2007 1:34:00 AM

Looks pretty good actually. I would get another PSU though, try something like a Corsair 520W just in case he wants to get a really nice Graphics card later on.
September 19, 2007 2:17:54 AM

i would lower that 6000+ down to maybe a 3800+ and just overclock it to those speeds if needed..cpu isn't nearly as important as the gpu in gaming

good luck
September 19, 2007 5:49:46 AM

I'll run that by him tomorrow, thanks. He also insisted I ask about water cooling, which I have no experience with. After reading a bit about it, I'm kinda guessing it wouldn't be practical for a case that size, and also that it wouldn't lend itself well to a portable (and preferably lightweight) PC. But you guys are the experts; what do you think?
!