Lite-On LH-20A1L stops reading during installations (new system)

osirus23

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hi,

Last night I put together a new system and I have a problem with my Lite On LH-20A1L drive.

When installing programs, the drive stops periodically during the installation for several minutes (5-10) and then starts up again. During this time I cannot access the disc via My Computer and attempting to do so causes Explorer to crash.

This has occurred during every installation so far, Office 2007, World of Warcraft, and Unreal Tournament 2007 (which I could NOT install on account of this happening too frequently, after a half-hour it was at 8% complete.) I do not know if this occurred during the initial installation of Windows Vista as I was not in the room at the time, but I suspect it may have since the install took over an hour to complete. This occurs with both CD and DVD media.

Windows recognizes the drive and I have the latest Firmware installed. This is my first experience using SATA drives.

Here are some specs on my system:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

BioStar TF560 A2 Motherboard
nForce 560
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
4.00GB DDR2 RAM
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB
WD 250GB SATA HDD
Lite On LH-20A1L SATA CD/DVD writer
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU

Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I don't know if the problem is with my drive, my motherboard, Windows, or whatever, but its very frustrating.

Thanks

blaze85

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I just had the same problem while installing Gears of War.. I'm not sure if there is an actual solution, but i have a primitive fix. Start the install, and when the drive stops spinning, right click the drive in computer, go explore. just click around in the folders and it gets it spinning again.

An hour Windows Vista install sounds about right. I have no idea what is causing this issue. Do you have any other DVD drives you could try instead (to help narrow down what could be wrong)?