Sign in with
Your question

College Student! Computer Not Posting Anymore!!!! HELP!!!!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2007 4:17:05 AM

First off, thanks for taking the time to look at this. I just put my new system together today, it was working but now its not! I am at college and I really need this computer working so any help is greatly appreciated.

I put it together, it posted so I installed Windows Vista. After installing, I was able to start up Windows. I installed the Gigabyte motherboard driver, restarted and it worked fine. Then I installed the HP w2007 monitor driver, AVG virus, and tried to connect to the internet (I am at school so I put my login info to register my pc then it told me to restart) when I shut down my pc and tried to turn it on, nothing happened. None of the USB seem to be working and the monitor has no signal. My dvd burner drive opens but does not read discs. I don't think it is posting anymore! What's wrong?

PS. One thing I noticed about the Tuniq Tower... I plugged it in to the motherboard before mounting it to the cpu and the Fan inside the Tuniq Tower started up. However, when I installed it and turned on the computer, the fan has yet to start up. Does it have a sensor that makes the fan run only once a certain temp is met or should it run all the time. I am concerned about this becuase I don't want to fry the cpu. Is it possible I fried it and thats why it is not working?

My set up:
Vista Business 32bit
Tuniq Tower Heatsink
Gigabyte P35 Ds3R
Q6600
2 GB Corsair XMS2
Seagate Barracuda HD
HP w2007 lcd monitor

Thanks for your time, PLEASE RESPOND

More about : college student computer posting anymore

September 19, 2007 5:09:21 AM

1)Well, How big is the PSU you are using?

2)Try using the other power connections so you get max speed out of the fans. (the four pin connections)

3)Importantly, the graphics card size? 512mb, is it a 8 series, 7, 6, etc... Vista likes bigger cards to display it.

4)Did you intall the updates first on microsoft

5)Check the hard drive connections? Is it a old HD?

6)Go back in your Bios and see if the timings on your memory is OC or UnderClocked. Sometimes thats the case. But I could be wrong. Also check in your Bios and see if things were changed.

September 19, 2007 5:27:37 AM

"PS. One thing I noticed about the Tuniq Tower... I plugged it in to the motherboard before mounting it to the cpu and the Fan inside the Tuniq Tower started up."

Does this mean you powered the system up BEFORE mounting the CPU cooler!
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 19, 2007 5:31:57 AM

gent said:
"PS. One thing I noticed about the Tuniq Tower... I plugged it in to the motherboard before mounting it to the cpu and the Fan inside the Tuniq Tower started up."

Does this mean you powered the system up BEFORE mounting the CPU cooler!

Please say it isn't so?
September 19, 2007 5:33:38 AM

So, when you plugged the Tuniq Tower in to the board, before mounting it to the CPU, it turned on? Are you saying that you had the PC plugged in while you were still putting it together?

Gigabyte boards usually have power-saving features enabled by default, which includes keeping the CPU fan shut off until the CPU gets to a certain temp. You can shut that feature off so the fan is always on. Also, just make sure the HSF is on the CPU and it's plugged in. I've been doing this for 14 years and I catch myself forgetting to do that at times.

Do you see anything when you try to boot the PC, like a motherboard splashscreen, RAM tests, CPU type, HDD detection, anything like that? What video card do you have?

You might want to unplug the PC, check all your connections, take out the little battery on the motherboard and let it sit for 30s, then put it back in, plug the PC in, and try to boot. If that doesn't do anything, then unplug the PC again, take out anything that you absolutely don't need such as all but 1 RAM stick, HDD, CD drives, floppy, etc. Then plug it back in and try to boot it. If it's not working, move the RAM stick to another slot then try again. If still not working, try another RAM stick (in place of the one you had in before). Simple strategy is to use process of elimination to find out what's causing the problem. If possible, since you're in college it shouldn't be hard to find a geek with another C2D around, try their processor providing you have a hot sister you can offer as collateral ;)  Don't worry, computer geeks don't know what to do with a hot-chick. She'll be fine. Anyway, you'll also want to make sure the PSU is good and that you have all of your auxiliary power plugged in, one next to the CPU and the extra 4-pin connector on the main power bar on the board. DO NOT accidentally switch the two...they look similar and sadly they can fit in eachother's spots even tho the pin designs don't match. It will FK up your PC but I reckon it would start on fire long before a Vista install finished, so I don't think that's the problem. But check ne way :) 

After doing your little "elimination dance" finding out that your RAM, video card, and processor all work (BTW you can just put your stuff in someone elses PC, providing it's compatible and your sister isn't in the nut-house at this point, and see if your stuff works), then it's a good guess that your board is shot.

If anyone else has any more insight that would be appreciated! I haven't installed Vista yet and I don't know any of the fallout that may occur from a crappy install.

Good luck mate!
September 19, 2007 6:30:11 AM

aydterracer2005 wrote, " PS. One thing I noticed about the Tuniq Tower... I plugged it in to the motherboard before mounting it to the cpu and the Fan inside the Tuniq Tower started up.
Is it possible I fried it and thats why it is not working? "

...........Did you have the connections to the motherboard on as well, if so you might of fried the whole thing.,, completely

ok ok, Hold the line for just a sec.......

aydterracer2005 wrte,"However, when I installed it and turned on the computer, the fan has yet to start up".

It is heat sensative, so is my Thermaltake Blue Orb 120mm..

Anything you are plug into the motherboard is heat sensative.. Unless you change it in the Bios, to run full speed as stated from leo2kp,"

Gigabyte boards usually have power-saving features enabled by default, which includes keeping the CPU fan shut off until the CPU gets to a certain temp. You can shut that feature off so the fan is always on."

September 19, 2007 11:15:17 PM

My original motherboard was sent to me DOA. After that, when I recieved my replacement, I tested the motherboards functionality by plugging in the case fans and lights to test the power. I also plugged in the tuniq tower into the cpu fan pin just to see if there was power going to it. I DID NOT have my cpu mounted in the case when I was doing this, I was merely testing the power of the motherboard. Also, I did not have anything powered on when I was putting everything together. Sorry for the confusion...

As for the PowerSupply, it is a OCZ 700w GameXStream. My graphics card is an old nvidia 6800 series card that I am using temporarily until the price of the 8800 series drops or the next series is released.

Thanks for the info on the Tuniq Tower, I am glad to hear that it should come on at a certain temperature.

I will try the removing the battery, and someone else told me I might want to try clearing the CMOS with a jumper. I'm hopping one of the 2 will work.

Thanks for all of your help so far! I appreciate it
!