ATI HDTV Unable to start TV

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 11, 2005 1:00:14 PM

Hi,

I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT and
300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running at UDMa
4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS P5AD2-e
premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid connector
[this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and this is
the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers [as of
4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running pc
check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the 4 IDE
devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during boot
post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and secondary
ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to correct
this.

I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.

Thanks,

George

ghadley_00@yahoo.com

More about : ati hdtv unable start

April 11, 2005 10:10:22 PM

Haven't tried the HD yet. But yea the ati tv cards can be a pain.
You might try and post this on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati.

jb..

<ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT and
> 300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running at UDMa
> 4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS P5AD2-e
> premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid connector
> [this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and this is
> the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
> latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers [as of
> 4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running pc
> check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the 4 IDE
> devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during boot
> post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and secondary
> ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to correct
> this.
>
> I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
> ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
> has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
> tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George
>
> ghadley_00@yahoo.com

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 11:48:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Was unable to find
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.at­i. I have the following drivers
installed:

For Radeon: wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-121-050322a-022141c.exe

For HDTV Wonder:
mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe
hdtv-wonder-5-01_2026v2.exe
atiCDwiz.exe [for dtv decoder]
mmc-9-06-1.exe

My mobo is ASUS p5AD2-e premium with bios 1004, with the ite812...
controller driver installed [the controller for where the IDE drives
are connected]

and I have installed directx 9c (dxwebsetup.exe) as well as
remote-wonder-3-01-0-0-english.exe [which by the way, no longer seems
to load after having uninstalled and installed it a number of times. -
Does the version of RW that came on the cd have to be installed?]

I have windows media player 10 installed as well as windows media
encoder 9.

Is quite frustrating - I would really like to get this to work. Could
this possibly be bad hardware? [I noticed on the physical unit the
silver box on the card had some light white substance across the metal]

Thanks,

George
ghadley_00@yahoo.com

T Shadow wrote:
> When posting to the ATI newsgroup state what version of Catalyst and
HDTV

news:D 3f05t$61i$1@news.netins.net...
> > Haven't tried the HD yet. But yea the ati tv cards can be a pain.
> > You might try and post this on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati.
> >
> > jb..
> >
> > <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT
and
> > > 300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running
at UDMa
> > > 4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS
P5AD2-e
> > > premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid
connector
> > > [this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and
this is
> > > the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
> > > latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers
[as of
> > > 4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running
pc
> > > check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the
4 IDE
> > > devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during
boot
> > > post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and
secondary
> > > ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to
correct
> > > this.
> > >
> > > I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3
different
> > > ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to
work
> > > has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different
tv
> > > tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > George
> > >
> > > ghadley_00@yahoo.com

April 12, 2005 5:26:42 AM

When posting to the ATI newsgroup state what version of Catalyst and HDTV
drivers and the version of MMC your using.

"jb" <st1@cpsv.com> wrote in message news:D 3f05t$61i$1@news.netins.net...
> Haven't tried the HD yet. But yea the ati tv cards can be a pain.
> You might try and post this on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati.
>
> jb..
>
> <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT and
> > 300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running at UDMa
> > 4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS P5AD2-e
> > premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid connector
> > [this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and this is
> > the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
> > latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers [as of
> > 4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running pc
> > check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the 4 IDE
> > devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during boot
> > post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and secondary
> > ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to correct
> > this.
> >
> > I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
> > ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
> > has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
> > tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > George
> >
> > ghadley_00@yahoo.com

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 11:43:22 AM

It's not the hardware it's the software! The Decoders (software) work as you
can install a third party HDTV program and use the ATI tuner card with HD,
the NTSC is not supported by the third party beta software.

I've also had problems with RW DVD and CDROM software after I install the
ATI software. A clean install of the software that comes on the CDROM will
work after you install the DTE software from the installation disk. For
some reason it has to be installed again from the install folder. If you
try to install again or install the newer version you will have no end of
problems.

T Shadow wrote:
> When posting to the ATI newsgroup state what version of Catalyst and
HDTV
> drivers and the version of MMC your using.
>
> "jb" <st1@cpsv.com> wrote in message
news:D 3f05t$61i$1@news.netins.net...
> > Haven't tried the HD yet. But yea the ati tv cards can be a pain.
> > You might try and post this on alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati.
> >
> > jb..
> >
> > <ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have an P4 3.2 GHz win xp pro sp2 with Sapphire Radeon x850 XT
and
> > > 300 GB SATA HD, as well as 4 IDE devices [2 DVD burners running
at UDMa
> > > 4 & 2, and 2 IDE HD running at UDMA 5]. The machine is an ASUS
P5AD2-e
> > > premium, and the 4 ide devices are connected to the ide raid
connector
> > > [this board's default for this connector is standard IDE, and
this is
> > > the only connector to support 133 mode transfers]. I have all the
> > > latest radeon drivers, as well as all of the latest hdtv drivers
[as of
> > > 4/10/05] installed. HDTV works, tv fails to initialize. Running
pc
> > > check shows everything being ok, except questions marks about the
4 IDE
> > > devices having DMA enable [all of whice show up as udma during
boot
> > > post]. In looking at windows device manager, the primary and
secondary
> > > ide's are set to dma as possible. Any suggestions on ways to
correct
> > > this.
> > >
> > > I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3
different
> > > ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to
work
> > > has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different
tv
> > > tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > George
> > >
> > > ghadley_00@yahoo.com

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:31:30 AM

ghadley_00@yahoo.com wrote (in part):

[after describing problems with ATI HDTV Wonder card]
>I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
>ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
>has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
>tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.

Other responses suggested ways to get the ATI card working, and you
certainly should if you can. However, if you do decide to replace it
or build a second HTPC, I recommend the MyHD MDP-130. I'm happy with
their previous model, MDP-120, and have had negligible problems with
it. The 130 adds support for unscrambled QAM. Hardware-based MPEG2
decoding, which lightens the load on the CPU. The software is good
and getting better. They just added timeshifting and are expected to
add the ability to watch a previously-recorded show while recording
another.

Del Mibbler
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 3:02:35 PM

<ghadley_00@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I guess I shouldn't be suprised, I've had 3 machines with 3 different
> ati tv products and with every single one, getting the tv part to work
> has been the biggest hassle. If anyone can recommend a different tv
> tuner card [even if by ati] I'm all ears as well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George
>
> ghadley_00@yahoo.com

I just tried the divco Fusion HDTV with QAM and while it installs perfectly
the QAM support only picks up one of 6 QAM channels my cable company
supplies. The picture HD quality is slightly less than the ATI and the
cable NTSC picture is allot less watchable (beat patterns and soft). I'll
try again to install the ATI card.

ATI offers more features in their software, has a better picture, has two RF
inputs, but does not have QAM support. The DIVOC fusion says it has a 4th
generation tuner but I find it slightly slower and less sensitive than the
ATI which has a 3rd generation tuner. Generation to me means more than
features. As the ATSC tuners have gotten faster they have been less
susceptible to fade and ghosts.

BUT the ATI software is a bitch to install unless a clean machine is used
(do not try to reinstall or upgrade the software).
!