Weird problem. Can't execute VBS files

For about a year I've had this problem happen to me every now and then.
I will click on a VBS file that I have and I will either get some kind
of error code, or nothing will happen at all. In the case of the later
my Event Log has a message stating the Scripting facility is disabled.
When I get the error code no Event Log is written.

This problem, when it happens, always follows an install of some random
software package. I learned over the year to make daily backups of my
Registry because restoring the Registry after I run into this problem
gets things back to normal again. Not a System Restore mind you, which
doesn't fix this problem, but using a program called ERUNT which
backups up/restores just the Registry Hives.

Another symptom of this problem is when I get into System Properties |
General. The information under Computer is missing except for the
amount of RAM I have. Everything else is gone. This along with VBS
not working always happens together.

I've learned to execute a VBS file or look at System Properties after I
install something to see if the problem crops up again. This way I
know if I should restore my Registry. I don't want to restore a backup
that is to old.

I didn't have the problem for a few months until today. Installing
Stardocks IconPackager 3.0a did me in this time. Even though
installing version 3.0 a few months ago went OK.

Like I said, restoring my Registry always clears everything up. I
really would like to get to the bottom of this strange problem. Anyone
have any ideas? Obviously something in my Registry is getting out of
whack.
1 answer Last reply
More about weird problem execute files

    Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en

    Windows Script 5.6 Documentation
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1120923661.624088.5970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    streetwolf <gshapiro@bigfoot.com> hunted and pecked:
    > For about a year I've had this problem happen to me every now and then.
    > I will click on a VBS file that I have and I will either get some kind
    > of error code, or nothing will happen at all. In the case of the later
    > my Event Log has a message stating the Scripting facility is disabled.
    > When I get the error code no Event Log is written.
    >
    > This problem, when it happens, always follows an install of some random
    > software package. I learned over the year to make daily backups of my
    > Registry because restoring the Registry after I run into this problem
    > gets things back to normal again. Not a System Restore mind you, which
    > doesn't fix this problem, but using a program called ERUNT which
    > backups up/restores just the Registry Hives.
    >
    > Another symptom of this problem is when I get into System Properties |
    > General. The information under Computer is missing except for the
    > amount of RAM I have. Everything else is gone. This along with VBS
    > not working always happens together.
    >
    > I've learned to execute a VBS file or look at System Properties after I
    > install something to see if the problem crops up again. This way I
    > know if I should restore my Registry. I don't want to restore a backup
    > that is to old.
    >
    > I didn't have the problem for a few months until today. Installing
    > Stardocks IconPackager 3.0a did me in this time. Even though
    > installing version 3.0 a few months ago went OK.
    >
    > Like I said, restoring my Registry always clears everything up. I
    > really would like to get to the bottom of this strange problem. Anyone
    > have any ideas? Obviously something in my Registry is getting out of
    > whack.

VBS Registry Windows XP