Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE Promise FastTrack 378

Last response: in Storage
March 10, 2008 7:00:02 AM

Hi

I find myself in the unfortunate situation, that my ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE motherboard has shortcircuted.

I was using the onboard Promise FastTrack 378 controller for a striping RAID with 2 physical discs making 1 logical drive.

With the loss of the motherboard – and thereby the Promise controller – I can no longer access my RAID.
Since I have important data on the RAID, and haven’t done backup in months! – I would very much like to find a way to access the RAID.

I can only think of 3 possible solutions:

1) To purchase a used ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE motherboard

2) To find a controller-card that can access the RAID

3) To find a new motherboard that has a controller able to access the RAID
Could you advice me on solution 2 + 3 – the exact question being: What controller or motherboard with integrated controller could I purchase that could access my RAID?

Thanks in advance

March 10, 2008 10:32:03 PM

You will need a Promise 378-based chip to access the RAID natively. Some older motherboards have these, as do some older cards from Promise (FastTrak TX2000 I think).

Another way would be to purchase RAID Reconstructor and GetDataBack for NTFS from Runtime.org, and recover the data off your RAID using those tools (doesn't require a matching RAID card, only requires that you can hook both drives up with ordinary IDE controllers).
March 11, 2008 4:49:43 AM

The drives are SATA and have SATA connectors. Is there anyway I can connect those to the IDE controller?
Related resources
March 11, 2008 2:27:33 PM

Kerub said:
The drives are SATA and have SATA connectors. Is there anyway I can connect those to the IDE controller?

The Runtime.org tools don't require a specific controller. They can recover the data as long as the drives are hooked up and the BIOS can see them.

You will need additional space to recover the data, with the ability to hook up at least 3 drives:

1. You need a boot drive with Windows installed on it and the Runtime.org tools installed.
2. You need the two drives that were in the RAID.
3. You need enough space on the boot drive or on a 4th drive to hold the total size of the RAID, plus the total size of the data on the RAID.

For example: Let's say the RAID was a RAID 0, using 2x 80GB drives. The RAID volume was 160GB total, holding 100GB of data.

You need a C: holding a Windows installation and the Runtime.org utilities. You have the 2x 80GB RAID drives hooked up. Then you need 260GB of space somewhere, either on the C: or on a 4th drive.

The recovery is a 2-step process:

1. RAID Reconstructor performs a destriping operation. It reads the 2x 80GB drives, and creates a 160GB image file on the 4th hard drive (or on available space on C: ). This removes the striping that the RAID controller was doing.
2. GetDataBack for NTFS reads the 160GB image file and finds all the files that were stored within it. It writes these files out to the 4th hard drive or the available space on C:.
March 11, 2008 4:56:54 PM

Thank you very much for your detailed answer :D 

So that means that I:

1) purchase a new motherboard that will hold my current processor and RAM. (This motherboard has a yet unknown onboard RAID controller)

2) Install an old harddrive I have lying around, as C:\ drive, with all drivers for the new motherboard (including drivers for onboard RAID controller) + runtime tools

3) Purchase a new hardrive for holding the image-files

4) plug the RAID drives on the new onboard RAID controller, without setting up a new RAID

5) Follow instructions for runtime tools.

March 11, 2008 5:37:21 PM

Yep, that's it. The question you need to answer is what path is worth it to you for the cost. The two Runtime.org tools will cost about $180. You may be able to obtain a compatible RAID controller card or motherboard for less than that if you look around.

However, since your old motherboard was a bit dated, you can use this opportunity to upgrade. With the Runtime.org tools, you're no longer constrained to a particular motherboard that has a compatible RAID controller. So you could go ahead and buy a current, modern motherboard, processor, and memory, and then recover your data with the Runtime.org tools.

I think you're probably going to be forced to get another processor at least - If I remember correctly, the P4C800 motherboard was a socket 478 board, meaning you have a socket 478 processor. I don't think there are any socket 478 motherboards left on the market, so in order to use that processor, you would have to find a used one, which might be dicey.
!