Upgrade from 2GB to 4GB? or 3GB since it loses almost a gig?

I currently have 2x1Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 modules. Would there be any increase in performance on current/upcoming games if I move to 4GB of ram? I can get another set of identical memory modules for under $100. They have done well for me so far.

Also, another thought. Since 32bit OS's have that memory hole and you lose 1/2 a GB or so should I just get 2x512MB modules? would there be any hit on performance if they are of different size than my other 2 as long as I keep them in pairs? The only time I ever needed 4GB was on an oler HP server with Server 2003 std and it picked up 3.5GB instead of 4GB. However I have hear some situations where it knocks out more than 1/2 GB of usable space.

What say you all?

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I picked up 4G for my new system and I only see 2.8, something to do with the graphics memory and the caches on the quad core CPU.
I've also been wondering if I would have been better off going with 3G, but 4G wasn't that much more.
As for performance increases, if you're running XP, I doubt that you'd notice the difference. Load times in Oblivion might drop for areas you've already visited, but 2G is plenty for most games.

nickr336

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Man, 2x1GB costs $50 with free shipping. Just go get it. That's what I did yesterday. I am also going to go with Vista 64.

jwolf24601

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
32bit programs have a problem addressing over 2gb really.

They released a hotfix for vista on this that set limits to 2gb so programs wouldn't crash. I had to download it to run eq2 reliably (Horribly coded game, but really fun)

I have 2x1gb and 2x512mb setup, with the hotfix it runs fine, but no real benifit over 2gb

Actually there is a rebate which makes the 2x512 the same as the 2x1gb modules. Both $60 after rebate(for the 2gb kit). I know Supcom is a memory hog, I wasn't sure how other's would act. Idle I run around 390MB in memory with my McAfee AV. The ATI Catalyst drivers suck up alot of room and I have ATI Tray Tools running. So really that's working on half a gig right there. after a while there are some items resident in memory but I don't always feel like rebooting to clear it out. but sometimes it idles around 430MB. I know Oblivion takes a chunk as well. I never minimized the other games to look what they run at. I'm sure Company of Hero's isn't small either.

So basically unless I Max out my memory I am not going to see a performance gain. I wasn't sure if it would just use the page file less if it sees more memory. I was told that the OS uses the page file a certain amount and if it has more physical memory available it will not swap as much.