Sign in with
Your question

Socket A Cpu overheating :(

Last response: in Systems
September 19, 2007 3:10:31 PM

Hi all. i have recently scavenged a cpu and bought a new mobo for a media center. The fan is also new. however the thing is overheating and i am baffled as to what the problem is.

Cpu: Athlon xp 2600
Mobo: Asrock K7S41GX
Fan: Akasa AK 786 - Rated for athlon xp 3400.
Ram: 1 gig corsair value 333mhz
hdd: 1 x 250gig WD, 1 x 80gig Seagate.

I have bought some more thermal paste just to make sure. this helped a bit but only delayed the inevitable.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.
X

More about : socket cpu overheating

September 19, 2007 4:01:29 PM

Well...first off....my initial thought is that 20cfm is not enough for a socket A 2600. Secondly, 28 db is a bit loud for a media center.
You might try to lap the seat on the heat sink and check that there is enough down pressure for good heat transfer. Another option is the little copper adapter plate that helped distribute the core heat to the heatsink. They were about 5 dollars back then.

For my socket A's I always used spire coolers. They are fairly quiet and very efficient at about 29cfm.

http://www.spirecoolers.com/main/product_detail.asp?Pro...
September 19, 2007 4:12:43 PM

Your cooler is fine. Maybe you did not seat the heat sink down on the CPU correctly. Or maybe you put too much thermal paste on the processor. BTW how hot is it running????
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 19, 2007 4:14:52 PM

Have you ever heard of cpuidle? It has special socket a cooling features - unfornuately it's not free. Software does work, from my experience - maybe there is a freebie version of it out there somewhere.
September 20, 2007 7:53:14 AM

65* it restarts at. now im not too sure wether that is too hot for an amd but it worries me a little.

I will look for a spire cooler that ships to Uk
i will check the software out also.

Thanks for the info Ill get back to you asap
a b B Homebuilt system
September 20, 2007 8:59:03 AM

When I had a 2600+, it ran about 43c. I used a Coolermaster Xdream on it, and the paste that came with it. Only 19 dBA.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is out of stock, but posted mainly for info.

Mine was still working silently after 4 years of use. I assume it still is as I gave the machine away over a year ago.
September 21, 2007 1:49:40 PM

Another thought that occured to me is that, I remember there being a rash of that particular CPU that were sold in an overclocked state.

You might try an underclock and see if that makes any considerable difference. If so, it might just be that you have one of those.
September 24, 2007 7:43:42 PM

Athlon xp is hot CPU's, i have seem many customers with overheat problems. But it always was customer fault. like putting computer in those tables that has computer shelf with door, and locking the door, newer cleaning dust clog up everything,

for CPU that idle 45-50C its easy to get 60c+ in unventilated space Athlon xp will lock up 65C+ and i would consider bad candidate for media pc :( 

in your case normal with stock settings Athlon should run 40c+ if there is good ventilation in case. if inside of case gets hot cpu will overheat

i remember there was fake Athlon xp 3200, bad ppl took 2500 model and hardware moded it to register as 3200 but it was only possible on 2500 not 2600.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that what i used to replace many stock coolers, nice all cooper manages to keep it stable.
September 24, 2007 8:01:01 PM

There were several mod chips out there. It is difficult to remember which ones they were but there were a lot more than just 3200s. Personally, I never came into possession of them, but I do remember many boards where people complained about the issue.
September 24, 2007 8:45:13 PM

i believe the earlier athlon xps (1600-2100) were rated up to 90C max, while the later athlon xps (2200 - 2800+) were rated at up to 85C max... though you are restarting at 65C, it doesnt seem that specifically should cause it to overheat either.

http://www.chiplist.com/AMD_Athlon_XP_processor_Model_8...
September 26, 2007 6:57:39 AM

Check your bios hasn't got auto shutdown at 65C. Re-paste and re-seat the heatsink. 65C is hot, but shouldn't kill the cpu.
October 4, 2007 6:39:51 AM

Hi all just an update.

I bought the spire whisperrock that i was reccomended.

my cpu is now maxing temps @ 48* under full load and is very quiet.

Thanks so much for all your help.

X
October 5, 2007 9:56:08 PM

Yep....those Spire coolers are sleepers.

You, of course, are welcome.
!