Graphics Card Advice for Slimline PC - Low Profile GPU's

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlj1965

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the graphics in my HP s3027c Slimline PC which is running an Vista Home Premium on an AMD Athlon x2 4000 with 2gb of ddr2 ram. This PC currently has an integrated Geforce 6150le integrated on the mobo. I do have an available PCI-e slot so a modest upgrade is achievable. I say modest because this is a slimline case which offers two problems for upgrades.

1) The new GPU must be Low Profile (half height).
2) The PSU in this computer is only 160W. This may or may not be an issue with any of these cards, but I have not identified the power requirements of any of the low profile cards I am looking at.

I have identified some cards, but would like advice on which cards may offer the best performance in my system. this computer just needs to get me through until my tax return when I will build a new gaming monster and give this to my wife for web surfing and music. Price is not really an issue as they are all relatively cheap cards. For now, I'd like to be able to play games like BF2, BF2142, Medal of Honor Airborne, etc. at somewhat decent frame rates/resolution. I don't need all the details on and realize these cards are not meant for that unless playing older games. What I really want to know is which of these is the best card for this system in terms of graphics performance for gaming.

Candidates

A) XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS Low Profile (Part # PV-T72G-WAN7, PV-T72G-WANG) $55

B) Visiontek Radeon X1650 Pro HD Low Profile (Part # V261-4038) $70

C) MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDMI HDCP Silent Heatsink Video Card - Retail $76.99

D) Leadtek WinFast PX8500 GT TDH Low Profile $131 (Available in Passive or with Fan versions)

E) SAPPHIRE ATI 256MB X1600PRO HDMI PCI-E (TVO, DVI), Low profile (brackets included) $139

Can anyone give me a decent idea of what to buy? Your input is greatly appreciated.

As a second part to this question... it seems my choices may be less inhibited if I were able to find a bigger PSU for this machine. Has anyone heard of upgrading the PSU in an HP s3027c to a psu that has at least 300w? If so, what mfg. and part number? One of the greatest things about this machine is the nice piano black finish, but if all I have to do is purchase a new case with bigger psu, I will tear this thing apart to upgrade the graphics.

Thanks in advance all for your replies!

rlj1965

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Personally I'd get option B. X1650 Pro is your best bet in my opinion, as it's cheap, you can play games, obviously not on super high graphics or incredible resolutions, but than again you already stated you knew that. So, in my opinion, I would get the X1650 Pro from Visiontek. That should allow you to game with modest frame rates and respectable graphics for a mere $70.

rlj1965

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

The point was it wasn't in the chart (psu).
What forums were telling you that a 300w card will run on a 160w psu that nobody still knows how many amps it pushes?
Just curious, what are this card's requirements?
http://www.leadtek.com/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=195&downline=WinFast+PX8500+GT+TDH+Low+Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.