Sign in with
Your question

How's my CPU's health now?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 24, 2007 9:12:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and this is my first thread.

I have an Acer TravelMate 4000 Laptop. I bought it 3 years ago.

Its current specification:
Pentium M Centrino 1.5 Ghz, 2MB L2 Cache
1G of RAM
40GB HDD
Intel Graphic Card 64MB (Shared)

Recently, I've found that my CPU usage's getting high very easily even it gets 50-70% or sometimes 90% usage just for scrolling up and down a webpage in IE7. Furthermore, it also gets high while I view the photos by normal Windows Picture Viewer. In the past, I could play some games like Halflife or Couter Strike, but now I dare not play any game like those because the CPU's contantly running and its fan is very noisy, while I'm playing game.

What do u think about its health with the above symptoms?

Thank you very much!

More about : cpu health

a c 159 à CPUs
September 24, 2007 9:34:50 PM

It's possible that you may have a heat issue. Laptops aren't designed for serious gaming. I use the a/c when case fans are spinning extra loud. You may also benefit from using the windows disk clean and degrag programs. I also use spybot and spyblaster, both free downloads.
a c 446 à CPUs
September 25, 2007 2:53:54 AM

It is possible that the CPU fan has failed and need to be replaced. You'll need to take it in for service to find out though.
Related resources
September 25, 2007 6:34:39 AM

Dust is also one of the worst enemies of laptops. If it got full of dust inside thats why is heating up and fan spin faster
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2007 7:18:19 AM

As for the high CPU usage, scrolling will push it up quite a bit, but viewing photos shouldn't unless you are scrolling there too. Use the Processes tab in the task manager (assuming the laptop has windows XP) and see what process is sucking it up.
September 25, 2007 7:06:01 PM

Before doing any hardware replacement or sending it to your technician. Check the software before checking the hardware. Run an updated antivirus and check for spyware/malware which may encounber memory and overwork the CPU. Also defrag the hard drive, but backup your data before doing so. Removing dust is always a good idea. I use Spybot Search & Destroy for removing and checking for adware/malware, it may be only that the problem. You can download Spybot on security.kolla.de.
!