asus a7v333 post problem

gunnag123

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
Im am building a computer from second hand parts and am using an A7V333 motherboard.

I have added an Athlon XP 2200 CPU, 512 of PC2100 ram, a 10GB Hard Drive, an AGP 8x geforce fx5200 graphics card. I am using an old ATX case with 250 watts power supply.

When I boot the system, I do not get any video output at all, additionally, the POST Reporter is informing me of something but its in Chinese !

My query therefore falls in several parts:-
- as I cannot get in to the BIOS (no video) how can I change the POST Reporter language in to english
- why is there no video output? Is the graphics card not compatible (the board supports 4x ago not 8x) or is the card simply broken?
- is the PSU powerful enough?

All info welcome.

xiaolongbao

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
I have the same mobo, cpu, with 1gb of 2100 memory, 3 hard drives, FD, DVD-ROM burner, PNY GeForce 6600 gpu card and a 300 watt PSU. I don't think it's the power supply. Do you know if the board was working before? Have you tried remounting the CPU, DRAM and GPU? My GPU is also 8x but the slot's backwards compatible so that's not a problem. Do you have a speaker in your case? If not, hook one up and then listen to the beeps and reference the manual (available at the ASUS site still). This board also has audio POST messages which are more specific. Again, see the manual. The other possibility is that the CMOS battery is dead and needs replacing but I would do this last.

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
First off, 250 watts is not enough for those older CPUs. I always aimed at 450 watts or higher on socket A boards. My first inclination is toward the video card as you are getting no video. If you have an old PCI video card, you could try that first, or maybe another AGP if you have access to one. Secondly, clear the BIOS by shorting those jumpers while briefly applying power to the board. Then set the FSB to 133 (it will still boot, just not at full clock). If still no post, try moving a single stick of memory to different slots and try that.