Two maybe three quick AMD CPU Questions

decoy26517

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew what performance benefits or disadvantages there will be when comparing AM2 and AM2+? (like will be it worth upgrading to AM2+ when the Phenoms come out etc…)

Also I've seen that Directron says that the 8350 is available for sell on their website (well, it doesn't say its NOT available from what I've seen) so I'm wondering, are these really available yet? Also if they are has anyone seen any benchmarks for this yet?

Thanks for any help you guys can send my way!

Decoy.

sailer

Splendid
AM2 was just barely faster than the 939 which it replaced. Many people wonder why AMD bothered with the AM2 at all, since they are so similar in performance. At the same time, AM2 did update a few things, like going to DDR2 ram. The upgrade to AM2+, or Phenoms as they're also known, should mean a large gain in performance in comparrison to the AM2. Whether or not the AM2+/Phenom cpu will be better then what Intel has out is unknown. After all, we really don't know much of anything about Barcelona yet. There have been a few canned reviews as approved by AMD, but I haven't seen any real benchmarking done comparing it to C2D, Intel's quads, etc.

Until Tom's, Anandtech, etc do some real benches, as consumers, we're pretty much left in the dark at this moment. It will be another couple months before Phenom will be out, then who knows how long before the becnes come out for it, as well as ready supplies of the cpu and motherboards for it. Will Phenom be better than AM2? Very much so, I expect. WIll it be better than the competition? No one knows.

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Well, unless you have a multi-socket server motherboard (8 sockets and up), the 8350 won't be of any use to you.

I saw some benchmarks for the 2350 where they somewhat stuck in an 8800GTX, but it's still in a server motherboard, which isn't meant for gaming. So we'll have to wait until the single-socket stuff is sent to reviewers to get some real numbers.

Unless I'm mistaken, however.

sailer

Splendid
The 2350, and cheaper 2347, are socket F (1207) CPUs, so they could fit in the motherboard made for the QFX, which is a gaming motherboard. But no real comparison reviews have been written yet as far as I know. It would be good to know how they perform, and what overclocking potential they have, but without benches, no one knows.

decoy26517

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
The upgrade to AM2+, or Phenoms as they're also known, should mean a large gain in performance in comparrison to the AM2.

So it would be a smart idea to save up a few more bucks and buy a new motherboard when these come out?

Well, unless you have a multi-socket server motherboard (8 sockets and up), the 8350 won't be of any use to you.

I know :kaola: I just wanted to know if any reviews have come out about these processors since they have apparently been released (I saw the reviews of the 2350 on anandtech but I wanted to know more about the higher end server CPUs just for personal reference.)

sailer

Splendid
Yes, I think it would be wise to save up some money and buy a new motherboard and cpu when the time comes. At the moment, I think Biostar has the only AM2+ motherboard out. Others will follow, better ones, in the months to come. I myself am saving money for the change. If not to AM2+/Phenom, than to Intel's X38 mobo and a cpu to fit.