Need help with few problems

Laserjet

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I need help with few problems

1: I have 2 DDR 1 RAM modules: 1 is 256 MB module and the 2nd is 512 MB module.They both have a bus spped of 400 MHZ.But when i use them together,they system memory speed is shown at 333 MHZ.When i operate them separatly,they both show 400 MHz memory speed.Why the memory speed is shown less than 400 when i use them together.Also before start i get a beep and a message tellong me that both RAMs are different in amount.Also it shows that total memory is 766 MB but available physical memory is 570-something MB.Why is there so much difference between this total and physical memory.

2: When i boot,In the start i get a message with beep,other than RAM one.It says about HD.It is "S.M.A.R.T" status bad,backup and replace.Now i have two HDs,which HD is it referring to and what does that message means.One HD is Seagate 80 GB and the other is Western Digital 80 GB.WD hard disk is the primary one and on which OS(windows XP) is installed.

3: I can't seem to run notepad and few other files.When i double click them,nothing happens and the program doesn't load.WordPAd runs fine but notepad doesn't run.

I have D915 GAVL and P-4 3.0 GHz.
Can someone help me with these problems.

Mondoman

Splendid

This is normal on some MBs. Some MBs cannot support the maximum memory speed when multiple modules are installed.

SMART is an automatic condition monitoring feature built into modern hard drives. The message is telling you that one of your hard drives has failed or is likely about to fail -- thus, some or all of your data has already been corrupted or is about to be corrupted. If the message doesn't tell you which drive is having the problem, just remove the secondary drive, restart the system, and see if you still get the message. If so, the problem is with the primary drive.

Now i have two HDs,which HD is it referring to and what does that message means.One HD is Seagate 80 GB and the other is Western Digital 80 GB.WD hard disk is the primary one and on which OS(windows XP) is installed.

This is quite possibly a symptom of data corruption on the hard drive that has Notepad installed on it.

Laserjet

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks Mondoman for your reply.I tried the method u told about HDs and its my primary one.Guess i have to get rid of it.Thnaks again for the reply.