Sign in with
Your question

World in Conflict: artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 8, 2007 2:24:46 AM

Hi, my actual video card is the XFX 8800GTS 320MB Extreme Edition. I tried to play World in Conflict tonight and it is artifacting like mad, whether I am overclocking the card or not.

In every other game I have tried (Bioshock, Call of Duty 2, TMUnited, Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2 and Episode One), I can push everything to max, overclock, and everything is smooth and looks great. Video card temperature doesn't go above 80C, at least that's what ATI Tool reports. And, ATI Tool is showing a strange behavior when I load some games: it will show 0 mhz for all frequencies and not do anything after a while.

I am also overclocking my E4400 to 3Ghz with the RAM at 750mhz and 5:5:5:15 latencies. This is well below the limits I have found for each part. I've run Memtest for several hours, 3Dmarks06 and SuperPI, played my most demanding games for hours (except Oblivion, I definitely have to try that) everything looks very stable.

Drivers are 162.18 forceware.

Giant grey, yellow, blue polygons sprouting everywhere randomly. The game froze once and I was forced to reboot.

Here is my complete config:

- CoolerMaster Centurion 5
- Antec Trio 550W
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
- Core2Duo E4400 Conroe (Revision 2)
- 2x1GB of OCZ Xtc Platinum RAM rev2.2, advertised as DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12
- Lite-on SATA DVD-RW
- Chaintech AV-710 sound card
- XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB Extreme edition (560/1700 mhz)
- 300GB Seagate PATA hard drive
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2007 3:49:43 AM

Driver problem perhaps? Try the 163.71 drivers.
Related resources
October 8, 2007 5:00:57 AM

it does sound like a driver problem.
re set it to stock and just make mega uber sure that its not the OC?
it would only take a few min.
a b U Graphics card
October 8, 2007 5:03:54 AM

I missed the temps. As fjabad said, 80C is getting pretty warm.
October 8, 2007 5:44:07 AM

80° is kind of hot. My XFX 8800GTS 320MB never touch 75° on stock or overclocked (600/900). Try to re-installing your driver, use the new one and check if the GPU fan are running as it should. You can try to override its rpm using rivatuner.

October 8, 2007 3:40:01 PM

Well, I installed the new driver, 163.71, and monitored temperatures with ATI Tool this morning.

When I start the first campaign mission, after a minute the picture freezes. I can hit escape and then it will skip to next "scene", and there will be horrible artifacting. This, of course, is at stock speeds!

And, I have monitored temperatures with ATI tool during that very short gameplay session, and it never got beyond 68C. So I think temperature can be ruled out. In fact I said 80C in my first post out of ignorance, but when I closely examine the ATI Tool log, temperatures never got beyond 74C.

October 8, 2007 4:31:03 PM

Well, Oblivion and overclocking can bring this baby to 80C. But, there is no significant artifacting in Oblivion. I only saw a texture at the bottom of a wall shimmering strangely in Bravil, which could be a game bug. And when I was Bravil temps were around 72C. The highest temps were achieved when I was riding a horse from Leyawin to Bravil, and there was some bad stuttering there. On foot everything is very fluid.
October 8, 2007 5:25:09 PM

When I had my 7900GT, all the games I played were fine, except for F.E.A.R. I had artifacting, turned out to be bad memory on the video card. What I thought was a driver problem was actually a hardware problem. I know they are different cards, and the 7900GT was plagued with this, but the concept might apply.

As Shargrath said, try reverting to stock clocks, just to see if that is causing the problem.

Did you turn the fan to 100% in rivatuner? I still think 80C is too hot for comfort. As I sit here typing this, my gpu temp is 50C with the fan on 100%, full load brings it to 65C (650 core, 954 mem).
October 8, 2007 6:57:55 PM

The temperatures I get are those reported by Anandtech on their 8800GTS 320MB roundup: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2953&p=12

Secondly, World in Conflict will artifact even with the video card at stock speed or underclocked, and at a temperature of 68C.

Hence I think temperature and overclocking can be ruled out. Drivers should also be ruled out because I tried three different forceware versions, including the latest, 163.71.

I wrote a ticket to XFX. They said I should contact the game developper first. Ugh.
October 9, 2007 12:40:05 AM

So they just left you out to hang? Did they even attempt to help you?

I have never bought an XFX video card so I'm not sure what writing a ticket is for. Is that for requesting an RMA?
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2007 12:59:31 AM

Dr_asik said:
They said I should contact the game developper first. Ugh.

That means "We don't give a damn, work out your own problems".
October 9, 2007 2:25:32 AM

I hate to be the one to give you the bad news so I will just say hardocp.com just tested Wic and well the gts320mb did not do so well .I skimmed through because I just bought a hd2900pro and was thinking of getting Wic
October 9, 2007 2:35:13 AM

I just got done playing wic on my 8800gts 320mb (oc to 650/1100) and it worked perfectly fine. I'm running the 163.71 drivers, might wanna try those.
October 9, 2007 3:09:41 AM

It crashes my video driver on my 8800 GTX vista 64. It's so bad I just gave up on it. I installed every driver I could find. The latest beta drivers just made it worse. The demo and beta worked flawlessly so I don't know whats up.

I'm working on a new Quad system in custom case that should be ready this weekend. I'll give it another shot in that build.
October 9, 2007 6:11:54 AM

ro3dog said:
I hate to be the one to give you the bad news so I will just say hardocp.com just tested Wic and well the gts320mb did not do so well .I skimmed through because I just bought a hd2900pro and was thinking of getting Wic

It's not a bad news to play WiC. I'm playing it since a week now and 8800GTS 320MB can perform very well on DX9 or DX10. Settings on WiC are custom. DX10 Resolution 12x10, NoAA NoAF, world=verylow, tracks=very short, water=256, texture=uncompressed and other settings are on.
DX10 perf. min fps=11, avg=28, max=59

DX9 resolution 12x10, 2xAA, 16AF, World=Medium, tracks=medium, water=512, texture=uncompressed and other settings are on (except cloud shadows which available only on DX10).
DX9 perf. min fps= 16, avg=35, max=64 (i've posted result on other thread but i was wrong on settings. This result DX9 perf. min fps= 27, avg=52, max=110 is NoAA, NoAF).

I've been posted some results on overclocked rig too, and apparently WiC love high clocked GPU. High clocked CPU doesn't make significant results.

I don't know if this can solve some artifacting, on WiC settings there's an option called FPS cap (Power saver) or things like that (i'm not in front of my gaming rig now). Maybe you can give it a try to cap it on 30 fps. Who knows ?!

I saw an update for WiC. Give it a try too.
October 9, 2007 6:36:23 AM

I think you problem is in this WIC review. >> http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/459/

On this page we'll have a look at the performance with in-game the image quality set at "Very High"

World in Conflict - Very High image quality 1280x1024

Imaging spending 600 bucks on a GeForce 8800 Ultra, you select 1280x1024 and see a framerate of merely 37 FPS. Well, imagine this then, things will only get worse from here on. In any case you'll need a GeForce 8800 GTS 640 class graphics or higher adapter to be able to utilize the Very high IQ mode. Mind you that 4xAA and 4xAF is enabled here. Forfeiting AA however resulted in a very minor performance difference.

World in Conflict - Very High image quality 1600x1200

Indeed, a GeForce 8800 GTX is pretty much your minimum required graphics card at 1600x1200. For those that noticed, I ran that 8800 GTS 320 MB test three times to be sure including a re-installation of the driver, but the results matched time after time. I'm pretty confident it's a driver bug though.

a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2007 6:52:17 AM

I noticed that also, AA and shadows in WIC (for dx9 at least) made little performance difference. Water quality and pixel shader settings made the biggest differences. Btw have you guys applied the latest (and first I believe) patch?
October 9, 2007 1:30:45 PM

Until now XFX support HAS proved helpful, they answer fast and now they just transferred me to warranty support. I just found that "did you contact the game developper" stupid. Writing a ticket is simply asking for technical support btw.

I know WiC performance isn't good on any existing video card right now, but really this isn't a performance problem, it's artifacting and shouldn't happen under normal circumstances if the video card is not faulty.

I hope they offer cross-shipping on this.
!