nish_higher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i've purchased a new pc with the following config-
p5n-e-sli + Q6600
4gb 667 dynet ram
xfx 8600gts 256mb
wd 250hdd..

whenever i try installing vista it hangs on ''Completing installation".i've tried updating the bios to 0608,changing gfx card and also tried with only one ram stick but no success.xp installs but freezes sometimes in games.help me its urgent.is it a ram problem??i dont think dynet is supported by this mobo?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
never heard of that ram..Run memtest. Sounds like a memory issue. If you get any errors just rma the modules if they are new. But also...What power supply do you have?

Try unhooking all USB devices and USB cables before installing. A number of ppl have fixed Vista install hangs this way.

Perhaps also take out any add-in cards such as sound cards if you still have problems. It does sound like a driver/ device initialization issue, maybe. Quickest way to check this would be to remove USB and soundcard. Your on-board devices should be OK, I would think, since it's a new mobo.

Tell us your make and model of PSU.

450w should do you if it is GOOD quality, a middling psu of that wattage might be a problem. We also need to know the 12v amperage which should be on the label.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Indeed...Notherdude is right. The average consumer doesn't realize that buying a crappy/cheap psu is the worst investment to begin with. If the psu gives out it can take your entire computer with it. Not worth it considering your PSU is one component while the rest of your computer is much more expensive.

We'll need the make/model of your psu...Also how much you paid for it if it was some really cheap brand. If you can give us make and model we can get all the amperage and watt info by searching the net.

Never buy a cheap psu though. Consumers always scratch their heads when their year old budget brand name computer craps out and dies on them.....Meanwhile while well put together systems last year and years. Heck...My p3 933 rig is still running and gets quite a lot of use as a overnight download machine. Had it for around 8-10 years. My dual AMD MP 1800 workstation which does 24/7 encoding is still alive and kicking, around 6-7 years old...I'm on a 3 year old rig right now...would of been 6 if my mobo didn't die on me...swapped it out for a pci-e mobo, x700 pro, and 3.2 prescott...Which is what I'm running today.

nish_higher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
ok here's the detail--
+12v 20A
-12v 0.5A
+5v 40A
-5v 0.5A

its a branded PSU (by an indian brand-intex)

also i have a usb mouse.will vista install without a mouse if i unplug all usbs?

no mouse needed to install, just plug it in if and when you see the desktop

sound card or on-board sound?

The PSU sounds like a cheapo on first glance. I didn't have much time to look into it this morning. Perhaps somebody else will. Might be the problem right there, then again it could be something else. I'd get a better PSU myself. Buy a good one from a store you can return it to. Antec is a good brand available retail. Just don't buy their low end models.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Which version of Vista are you installing? It may be caused by having to much memory! (funny but true) :) There is a problem having more than 3GB. You must install with 2GB or less, install a patch, reboot, turn off machine, install remaining ram, and finally restart.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

I would start to install Vista with only 2GB. If you can, procede with the patch, else, your problem is something else.

I was going to mention this but he did mention that he tried installing using 1 stick only. In any event it would be wise to install Vista with 2 gig only and then add the extra ram after. I'm still thinking this is a device/driver problem - the way it gets almost to the end and then hangs at 'completeing installation'..

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

I'm almost certain that PSU's 12 volt rail doesn't meet the MINIMUM requirements for your video card.

nish_higher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
ok.i've bought antec Trio-650.the same thing occurs.i have sound card ESI Maya 44.even tried without it.even tried different hdd,pirated vista 64 and another gfx card (2*7950gtx,7300 le).should i send my mobo for replacement?

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Ok... It is not:
* PSU
* Sound Card
* HDD
* Video Card

So what remain:
* Motherboard
* RAM -> Did you tried other sticks other than yours?
* CD/DVD
* Mouse and Keyboard (could be :))

So I would say go for the RAM and then Motherboard replacement.

Viking698

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
If you are using sata drives try this. Go into bios and make sure they are set to ide mode and not native sata mode. Worked for me.

Viking698

Can you install XP? That would tell us something. If you can we could focus in on Vista driver issue.

Try a different brand of RAM, maybe?
And be sure to only use 1 stick if RAM until you get installed.
Can you pass memtest86? Or the Vista memory diagnostic?

Double check the RAM settings in CMOS; timings and voltage.

A faulty DVD drive will stop you early on but sounds like you are way past that.

nish_higher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i m running xp on it.i m now using kingston ram temporarily.at least one issue is resolved-it now doesn't hang in xp while dataload\games but vista's still stuck.gonna switch to ocz ram as soon as delivered.the kb i m using is from my other pc (amd fx55) running vista.vista 32bit is original (retail one) and xp is oem. so no chance of disk corruption.i tried pirated 64bit just to see whether it installs or not.also i m using everything at stock.no overclocking and bios settings r default.

nish_higher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

yeah i have wd 250 and 160 and 500 sata drives.how to do that?

Viking698

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
There will be a setting in your bios that tells the drive to work as navtive sata mode or ide mode. Not sure where in your bios that will be(at the moment can not get to asus website). Look in the mb manual it will be list where the option is.

Viking698

nish_higher

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
got vista running now.the problem was with the dvd writer.i tried installing vista on another pc with the same writer and it too got stuck the same way.so i got a sony writer and its done.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006

Cool! :)

CD/DVD was part of my list where the problem could be!

Now you can start to enjoy your rig!

By the way, which version of Vista did you install (32 or 64)?