Possible bad agp or psu? how to check?

davosyn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Hello

I am having a problem with my computer. One day I was helping someone on my computer looking up some things on Google and all of a sudden it went black, it didn't turn off. I tried to restart, but there was no video. It has worked with no problems (software or hardware) for a year...in 2006 the motherboard was returned to Asus and they fixed/replaced 2 parts (one was the cpu retention mech). Apparently the original version of the P4C800 board (not the "E" version) had a bad solder spot on the back of the mobo. They repaired it for free and stated it is discontinued product. My specs are in sig & on profile.

What I tried at first...
-Took the case open, rechecked all cables to graphics card (removed card, replaced, checked molex) a 9800 pro by ATi.
-Pushed the Power button, it powered up, monitor turned on, bios loaded. Reported 'failed overclocking attempt' and entered bios to configure settings. While in the bios changing the agp aperture size, discolored pixelation occured alongthe top of display. Menus caused saving bios settings impossible. Restarted. Same thing happened, only faster and even more inoperable due to rainbow colored blocks appearing everywhere. Screen went black.

-Replaced 9800 Pro AGP card with 9600 Pro AGP card, no change in display...The Fans spin on the card, there is no picture on the monitor

What I know now...
-Monitor shows "no signal" when disconnected to card, monitor works fine.
-Two previously working AGP cards spin fans, but display no picture on screen (monitor doesn't come out of standby)

-AGP slots can go bad, either the slot or the circuitry/regular from 3.3v rail
-Could be a power supply issue (Vantec 400W Ion Sata Ready PSU)

Questions

What can I do without a Voltometer or Multimeter (or the experience using one!) to check if the agp slot is bad versus the PSU?

I thought about replacing the PSU, however due to a car accident in 2006, I can't afford to buy a new psu just to "find out" if that's it.

Asus has repaired this board before, for free, but I need to find out if it's the actual board. Due to my accident I cannot recall what the problem with the board was before...

I plan on trying a spare PCI video card and listening to the speakers during bootup (I actually use headphones, so I forgot to try listening yesterday).

Thanks for any and all help!

davosyn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Thanks for your links, ideas...

Yesterday I hooked up the headphones to the back of the mobo itself and it said, "System failed CPU test" - I remember this was a problem once before...The reason I had my board repaired was a supposed solder problem on back of the board which happened to an entire batch at one time or another after it came out...that's all I remember there,

I tried a GeForce 2 PCI card I kept from years ago...No picture. This confirms to me that it must something else on the motherboard than the actual slot (Q: Would the fan on the agp vid card even spin if the agp slot was bad?)

Oh, I did some digging online just now, I found two links which show the problem I believed I had before (I don't really recall if I saw it or not back then)...
http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive69-2004-12-118622.html
-User with somewhat similar problems, a reply says that Thousands of these boards passed and were sent out before the problem was caught...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/41540-post45.html
-Post explaining the problem with the HSF mounting brackets pressing solder into circuitry, causing power loss, etc...The problem was originally thought to be users securing the HSF too tight, causing damage to the board, this was not the case.

Since I returned the board to Asus when I had what I now believe the same problem last year, their papers claimed they fixed two pieces, one was a retention mechanism (that I forgot to send with the board), the other was not disclosed...

I was thinking, perhaps after reading about the bad solder spot again, perhaps I should 'take the plunge' and disassemble my system again (not an easy task, since my accident I can no longer lift 25lb+ on my own, so I'll have to wait a few days) to check for the bad soldering spot.

Perhaps they did not fix this all the way?